Moving Firewood

/ Moving Firewood #11  
Can you have the wood delivered onto a few sheets of plywood, and make a sort of plywood 'enclosure' for the wood, so you can scoop it up with the bucket? Saves stacking, just scoop a load and dump it where you need it.

/ Moving Firewood #12  
crossfire190 said:
I am trying to figure out the best way to move firewood. I consume about 10-11 cords per year. I need to get it from the woodpile to the hous

Any suggestions are welcomed.
If i had to burn that much wood,i would consider an outdoor wood boiler.You could have the furnace at the wood pile,just think how much work that would save per year.yet they aint cheap either
ALAN

/ Moving Firewood #13  
I use pallets. I stack the would up about 5 feet and I then shrink wrap the pallet. I store the pallets out side till I need woodI will use my 3 point forks and bring them into my garage. Some times it takes everything my tractor has to lift them. The loader would not have enough power to lift that much wood. This works out well. I have been doing this now for 3 years.

/ Moving Firewood #14  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Jeff,
Your method sounds great for what your doing and very neat also, but his boiler is in his basement, he still need to get the wood down to his boiler. Are you suggesting he use your method and just throw the wood downstairs from the pallet ?

The basement does present some challenges. If he is stacking into his loader bucket now, my method would at least cut down a little on the handling and get more wood in the door faster.

That said, being the lazy cuss that I am, I think I would l look at opening the Bilco's, throwing some 2 x 8's on the stairs and sliding the pallet into the basement, where a pallet jack was waiting to wheel the pallet over by the stove. Think I might put a chain or tow strap on the pallet and ease it down in, instead of just assuming it would slide politely into place. Personally, I have been known to spend more time figuring out how to finesse a job than it would have taken to just do it -- but then that's half the fun.

/ Moving Firewood #15  
escavader said:
If i had to burn that much wood,i would consider an outdoor wood boiler.You could have the furnace at the wood pile,just think how much work that would save per year.yet they aint cheap either
ALAN

Outdoor boilers are exceedingly inefficient. They are made for people who have trash wood in their way. Buying wood to feed one of those beasts isn't something I would suggest to my worst enemy.

/ Moving Firewood #16  
I've got the same problem. I currently stack the wood in the bucket and carry it to front porch where I then stack it again. One thought that I had was to fabricate some type of sides for the bucket so that I could get more wood into it. I know my bx-23 has no trouble carrying what I can fit in there now, I just need a way to be able to get more wood into the bucket. I would love to see some pictures of what everyone else uses to maybe give me some other ideas of how to make this work.

-Scot

/ Moving Firewood #17  
What makes you say outdoor wood boilers are extremely inefficient? I have had indoor stoves and outdoor boilers. There was no noticeable difference (<20%) in the amount of good wood that I have burned when comparing the two systems. My wood boilers have been forced combustion. Now, when I am burning lower quality soft woods in the outdoor boiler, it takes more volume but when burning hardwoods, I could not notice the difference but given the fluctuations in weather from year to year, I would not be able to tell a change less than 20%.

Ken

jeffinsgf said:
Outdoor boilers are exceedingly inefficient. They are made for people who have trash wood in their way. Buying wood to feed one of those beasts isn't something I would suggest to my worst enemy.

/ Moving Firewood #18  
i too have a outdoor boiler and i can burn any type of wood because of a short stack and a hot fire to burn off the junk.it is also as efficent as some indoor wood stoves with out the mess of wood on the house or the possability of a chimine fire.also if you are buying split wood you mite as well just buy oil

/ Moving Firewood #19  
First, I would not let the wood just set in a "dumped" pile. My experience with this method of non-stacking is the bottm of the pile never dries out and the middle of the pile gets wet with rain but never dries out only the sides where wind and sun are get dry. Wood will dry better stacked and the top of the pile covered.

Since you are dumping your wood down into the basement now how about using a dump trailer. You would still have to throw the wood intoo the trailer by hand but then you could back up to the openning to the basement and dump the contents of the trailer.

Plus you could use the trailer for other projects.

Randy

/ Moving Firewood #20  
Anyone else out there who likes the wood boilers, i plan to buy one and would like more feedback. thanks and some pics would be nice too.