Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    42
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

    Default Moving Firewood

    I am trying to figure out the best way to move firewood. I consume about 10-11 cords per year. I need to get it from the woodpile to the house.

    Currently I am loading it neatly into the bucket by hand - this way i get the most in the bucket. But, it takes time and effort. Would I be better off adding a grapple? Bucket teeth or something else?

    My bucket is 48" on a kubota bx2350.

    Any suggestions are welcomed.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member amigauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,103
    Location
    Unionville, Connecticut USA
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240HST

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    With a larger tractor you could palletize the wood and then use q/a pallet forks. That might still work on the BX but you would need to use clamp on pallet forks Untitled Document .

    Another option might be some sort of trailer but you would still need to hand load and unload it.

    Norm

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    84
    Location
    20 mile West of Pittsburgh
    Tractor
    B7610

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    I have the light weight paynes clamp on forks and have created log racks(3feet wide X 30 inch high x 20 inch) that 2 racks can be loaded directly into my wood shed. Talked my wife into cutting a hole in my house so the log racks can be loaded into one side and then pulled out doors inside the house beside the fire place.
    This is small scale but saves me alot of work. Alot of up front work making the racks but if you have enough racks you can fill them and let the wood season so no more stacking. I burn 4 or 5 cords but only enough racks for 2 cords. This will be my second year using this system.

  4. #4
    Super Member scott_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,092
    Location
    east wells,vt
    Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire190
    I am trying to figure out the best way to move firewood. I consume about 10-11 cords per year. I need to get it from the woodpile to the house.

    Currently I am loading it neatly into the bucket by hand - this way i get the most in the bucket. But, it takes time and effort. Would I be better off adding a grapple? Bucket teeth or something else?

    My bucket is 48" on a kubota bx2350.

    Any suggestions are welcomed.
    Afternoon Crossfire,
    Your buckets too small ! All kidding aside, the bucket idea works well but a bigger bucket or some sort of a pallet fork arangment to transport skids of wood would be better. I have used my bucket to do the same thing but mine is 6 ft and I can get a fair amount of firewood in there. I would think your going to need some counter weight if you try going with small pallets.

    Im not crazy about the grapple idea, I would think it would be kind of messy and would only work if your cordwood was in a big pile, unstacked and then you would be dropping it close to the house to bring inside ! Then you still have to stack it inside. Maybe others have more helpful ideas !
    scotty

    ,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    42
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Let me clarify my burning setup. I have a wood-fired boiler in the basement and I have an exterior stairwell that I can dump the wood into. So, my thinking was that if the grapple would work to pick up the wood from a pile, then I could make several trips and fill the stairwell.

    The pallet idea is a good one... I may have to give that some thought - I could get some pallet forks.

    Keep the ideas coming!!

  6. #6
    Super Member scott_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,092
    Location
    east wells,vt
    Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire190
    Let me clarify my burning setup. I have a wood-fired boiler in the basement and I have an exterior stairwell that I can dump the wood into. So, my thinking was that if the grapple would work to pick up the wood from a pile, then I could make several trips and fill the stairwell.

    The pallet idea is a good one... I may have to give that some thought - I could get some pallet forks.

    Keep the ideas coming!!
    Crossfire,
    If you have an exterior door to your basement such as a Bilco door, then the grapple might work out well for you. Especially if your using a 4 ft bucket, then your not going to be spilling alot of wood on either side of the door which only creates more work for you ! Im sure there are plenty of people out there that just split their cordwood throw it in a pile and then scoop it up with the bucket and grapple and dump it as your planning on doing ! IMO the palletized idea would work if everything is at ground level rather than the basement !
    scotty

    ,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

  7. #7
    Veteran Member jeffinsgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,256
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Tractor
    JD 4410

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Regardless of your tractor size, you'll have significantly more capacity if you think in terms of a 3 point hitch forklift arrangement, than one on your loader. I have both, but use the 3pt for firewood. I have pallets that are 32 x 48. I added uprights and bracing to them so that I can stack the wood 5.5 feet high. That gives me just a little less than half a cord per pallet. I've got a perfect covered spot on the back porch where I can park the pallet that we're working out of. I don't think your BX could pick one that big up, but you might go 3 or 4 feet high OK. The pallets are "Euro" standard, and are extremely well made. I have four full and a pile that will fill up two of them again. Unless we have an extremely harsh winter for our area, 3-4 cords will get me to April.
    4410 ePR, 3rd SCV, Skid Plates, TuffTop Canopy
    430 FEL, 48 BH, MX-5, Bush Hog Chipper, and more.

    455, 60" deck, MC-519, 3pt hitch

  8. #8
    Super Member scott_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,092
    Location
    east wells,vt
    Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsgf
    Regardless of your tractor size, you'll have significantly more capacity if you think in terms of a 3 point hitch forklift arrangement, than one on your loader. I have both, but use the 3pt for firewood. I have pallets that are 32 x 48. I added uprights and bracing to them so that I can stack the wood 5.5 feet high. That gives me just a little less than half a cord per pallet. I've got a perfect covered spot on the back porch where I can park the pallet that we're working out of. I don't think your BX could pick one that big up, but you might go 3 or 4 feet high OK. The pallets are "Euro" standard, and are extremely well made. I have four full and a pile that will fill up two of them again. Unless we have an extremely harsh winter for our area, 3-4 cords will get me to April.
    Afternoon Jeff,
    Your method sounds great for what your doing and very neat also, but his boiler is in his basement, he still need to get the wood down to his boiler. Are you suggesting he use your method and just throw the wood downstairs from the pallet ?
    scotty

    ,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    42
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Scott VT - That is correct. I have a Bilco Door and with my small bucket a load will drop in nicely.

    Any thoughts on how well the grapple would do to pick up the wood from a pile? At this point, I have my wood delivered and it is dumped into a pile. Previously, I would stack the wood and then move it as needed. But if I can skip the stacking step, that would save a lot of time.

  10. #10
    Super Member scott_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,092
    Location
    east wells,vt
    Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

    Default Re: Moving Firewood

    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire190
    Scott VT - That is correct. I have a Bilco Door and with my small bucket a load will drop in nicely.

    Any thoughts on how well the grapple would do to pick up the wood from a pile? At this point, I have my wood delivered and it is dumped into a pile. Previously, I would stack the wood and then move it as needed. But if I can skip the stacking step, that would save a lot of time.
    Crossfire,
    I personally dont own a grapple so I really dont know how that would work ! If the wood is being delivered seasoned than stacking is not so imperative IMO. But if the wood is wet its not going to saeson out as well just being dumped into a pile, it really needs to be stacked for sun and air circulation.
    scotty

    ,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.