Tires Front tires plowing the ground

/ Front tires plowing the ground
I read through the posts, thanks to everyone for chiming in. A couple of these are really making me think.

vic4news said:
...I would check to make sure that the differential lock was not stuck on causing both rear wheels to turn at the same speed and therefore making it hard to turn.

SPYDERLK said:
There just isnt much lateral force needed to turn the tractor. Your tires are fighting each other.

To lock my diff I have to step on a peddal. I've had to use it a couple times, but I am pretty certain that it disengaged both times. Question though. When moving lots of dirt, i.e. digging in with my FEL or dozing with my BB I have seen both tires spinning for a moment before I hit the clutch. CAN both tires spin if the diff lock is NOT engaged? If it was locked in, that might explain the seemingly excessive digging in of the front tires, but It doesn't feel like it's bogging down like I'd think it would if they were locked. I'll put it through its paces next time I get the chance and see what I can come up with on that one.

MrJimi said:
Check the distance from a rib in the front of your tire and at the rear on same rib at axle height, they should be close, they call that toe in/toe out, and it can be adjusted real easy

I'm a NASCAR fan, so I'm familiar with toe in/out. :) It seems to track fine in a straight line. It's only when I turn, the outside front tire seems to lay over a bit and bare the brunt of the force to turn the tractor, but I'll measure that as well. Should be easy to check.

BillyP said:
From my experience you have the worse front tire design possible for a lawn.

Dascro said:
...They are made specifically for agricultural use. They do cut when turned sharp. They should not be used on a lawn or anywhere you don't want to peel the turf back when turning. They are great tires for field work though. I personally wouldn't have a farm tractor without Tri-Ribs on the front. Wouldn't drive them on a lawn though!

No worries, I'm not driving that thing across the lawn. It's only used out in the fields, however, as someone put once, I'm a grass farmer. I raise grass and sell it in the form of beef, so I don't want to go around tearing up the grass in the fields any more than I have to. Ruining the grass is what the cattle are for. :)

It sounds for the most part like this is pretty much typical for this type of tire. I'll check the things mentioned, and just try to take it easy. The FEL is definitely not coming off, so the load's not getting any lighter.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #12  
To check the read diff-lock, chock one rear tire front & rear, jack the other rear tire just off the ground, & with the trans in neutral you should be able to easily spin the rear tire that's off the ground. If that tire won't spin, the diff-lock is stuck on.

As for the alignment, caster could be causing the problem along with toe. Trouble is, caster (& camber) usually isn't adjustable, so what you get is all there is. The best you can do is check the toe, & maybe adjust it to toe-out a little more, but only if you don't drive it on pavement, or at high speed. Of course, swapping the tri-ribs for turfs would also help, a LOT!

/ Front tires plowing the ground #13  
What size are the tri ribs, and what bolt pattern? Might help someone to look thru their junk pile to see if a spare set of rims are available and then you could buy new tires to replace those worn out tires you already have! (LOL)
All kidding aside, somebody might be interested in a swap or something close, if your interested in tire changing experience.
David from jax

/ Front tires plowing the ground #14  
Being a row crop utility tractor, your Ford has adjustable axles front and rear. Set the track one step wider front and rear and the steering axle will track with less "push" (NASCAR term ;)) You end up with a wider, more stable (read SAFER) tractor that'll turn with less destruction. The MF150 in my avatar is set wider than "normal" for a tractor it's size. I did that to get a stable platform for hillside mowing. As an added benefit, it tracks better in turns.

Also, learn to use te steering brake(s) with a light touch to help bring the front end around. A heavy tractor with good rear tires will tend to hold traction on BOTH rear wheels even without a differential lock being applied, just enough to make the front tires slide a bit.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #15  
Lawn, FEL, skinny front tires.
Pick any two.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #16  
I am an engineer with a NASCAR backround. The axle width adjustment affects the Ackermann steer of the tractor (Wikipedia this term). If the steer angles of the two front tires don't match the turn radii at the speed you are going when, the scrub will make the tire cut the lawn. This particular tire tread is intended to dig into the field and hold its own on sidehill operations for seeders, balers, etc.

Different Ackermann settings (adjusted by changing the top view angle of the steer arms on the knuckles) make cars and tractors have a preferred race line as they negotiate a turn.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #17  
Farmwithjunk said:
Being a row crop utility tractor, your Ford has adjustable axles front and rear. Set the track one step wider front and rear and the steering axle will track with less "push" (NASCAR term ;)) You end up with a wider, more stable (read SAFER) tractor that'll turn with less destruction. The MF150 in my avatar is set wider than "normal" for a tractor it's size. I did that to get a stable platform for hillside mowing. As an added benefit, it tracks better in turns.

Also, learn to use te steering brake(s) with a light touch to help bring the front end around. A heavy tractor with good rear tires will tend to hold traction on BOTH rear wheels even without a differential lock being applied, just enough to make the front tires slide a bit.

Huh? Since the inside front must turn sharper than the outside in order to avoid scrubbing, setting them wider would just make the steering issue worse because the inside would be further inside and would have to turn even sharper. I dont believe tractors have alignment adjustments to allow for this.

I agree that steering brakes may help. Im not sure tho, how holding traction on both wheels is in any way analogous to forcing them to rotate at the same speed, as a diff lock would do. Are you referring to the difficulty in pivoting the contact patches - particularly the inner rear? In my experience thats only enuf of an issue to notice when you are turning quite sharply.
larry​

/ Front tires plowing the ground
sandman2234 said:
...Might help someone to look thru their junk pile to see if a spare set of rims are available and then you could buy new tires to replace those worn out tires you already have! (LOL)

Let me guess, I bet you'd be willing to take those old tires off my hands for free! ;) Thanks man.

Farmwithjunk - I would like to set the fronts out wider if that would help. I'll have to check and see if I can figure out how to get 'er done. I actually had the rears set in about 6" to try to get them inside my 8' box blade.

Question for the masses: Is it a bad idea to lift the front end off the ground with the FEL to do something like widen them? I don't have a farm jack (yet), so that would be my only option right now if I was going to mess with the fronts.

As for the steering brakes, does that wear out the bakes? I've used them before, mostly while learning how to drive my tractor, but didn't figure I should use them all the time. Also, I like to leave the break peddals locked together to help with braking and especially when setting the parking break. The little pin that locks them isn't easy to engage and disengage (although a little WD-40 might fix that.)

Reg said:
Lawn, FEL, skinny front tires.
Pick any two.

:D Funny. I like that one.

zzvyb6 said:
I am an engineer with a NASCAR backround. The axle width adjustment affects the Ackermann steer of the tractor (Wikipedia this term). If the steer angles of the two front tires don't match the turn radii at the speed you are going when, the scrub will make the tire cut the lawn.

First of all, I like you already. Ackermann steer!!! Nice.

zzvyb6 said:
This particular tire tread is intended to dig into the field and hold its own on sidehill operations for seeders, balers, etc.

Translation: Count your blessings, you have the right tires for the job? :) My farm's not that hilly, but there are certainly places that the traction on those tires comes in handy out in a field.

Thanks all.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #19  
Actually, in this single case, your front tires don't interest me, dispite the fact that they probably have less than 25 miles on them. They just won't fit anything I have, so I will bow out and allow someone else that priviledge. I do have a friend over in the panhandle of Florida that could use them for rear wheels on his tractor, but we would have to cut some cross grooves in them to give him some traction.
Seriously, do measure the bolt pattern on your Ford, and give the tire/wheel size. I might know of something that will work. You could also run LTtruck tires on it, dispite the fact that I don't like them, they will work, and give you more rubber contact, more air capacity, etc. A heavier duty set might even hold up to that FEL that you really ought to call me about while I still have time to come take it off your hands. (LOL)
David from Jax

/ Front tires plowing the ground #20  
SPYDERLK said:
Huh? Since the inside front must turn sharper than the outside in order to avoid scrubbing, setting them wider would just make the steering issue worse because the inside would be further inside and would have to turn even sharper. I dont believe tractors have alignment adjustments to allow for this.

I agree that steering brakes may help. Im not sure tho, how holding traction on both wheels is in any way analogous to forcing them to rotate at the same speed, as a diff lock would do. Are you referring to the difficulty in pivoting the contact patches - particularly the inner rear? In my experience thats only enuf of an issue to notice when you are turning quite sharply.
larry​

Interesting theory, but in real live use, a wider setting does in FACT steer with less disturbance of the ground you're riding on. (To a point anyway, the "best width" is directly related to length [wheelbase])

As far as the brake steering, again, an interesting theory you have, but thousands of hours in the hayfields tell me otherwise. a slight tap of the steering brake on the inside wheel will make for a cleaner turn, even on a gradual (read NOT SHARP) turn. BTDT a million times.

It's easy to over-anylize anything. Sometimes you just have to take a look at what works and go with that.