Tires Front tires plowing the ground

/ Front tires plowing the ground #21  
It is probably way too easy to crank that steering wheel harder than it really has to be done, whereas a gradual turn would suffice. I agree with Farmwithjunk on that one and also a light touch on the steering brakes. Btdt, just not a million times. Some of us don't have a zillion hours of operation time under our belts, but with as much free time as I have nowadays, I am rapidly catching up with at least some of you.
David from jax

/ Front tires plowing the ground #22  
Farmwithjunk said:
Interesting theory, but in real live use, a wider setting does in FACT steer with less disturbance of the ground you're riding on. (To a point anyway, the "best width" is directly related to length [wheelbase])

As far as the brake steering, again, an interesting theory you have, but thousands of hours in the hayfields tell me otherwise. a slight tap of the steering brake on the inside wheel will make for a cleaner turn, even on a gradual (read NOT SHARP) turn. BTDT a million times.

I agree with the second entirely altho I dont use them except for sharper turns or to aid front tracking or traction when I note a need.

The first does not fit with my experience with my tri vs 4 wheelers. No scuffing at all from the close set fronts on the tri in any degree of turn if you take it easy in relation to how far they are turned - they can turn about 70degrees. The only scuff comes from the inside back which almost pivots in place. The 4 wheeler fronts always scuff a little in a hard turn and they will only turn about 50.
larry​

/ Front tires plowing the ground #23  
One thing you might try is to turn sharply on some concrete or asphalt. If the tires are leaving rubber marks on the pavement, then there is a turn geometry problem. Its either the Akermann or a problem with the rear differential. If the rear diff is too tight, then the fronts have extra work to do. This means that the rears must scrub in a fore/aft sense to complete the turn. Another solution would be to blow the front pressures up to see if that makes the tractor tight (won't turn). If this is the case, the rear is the problem. if you reduce the front pressures and it turns better, then the front grip is the problem. The lower pressure may help the grass rutting problem. too. As a last resort, you can make continuous turns on some rough concrete to wear the tread bars down on the front tires. This will present a more friendly tread pattern to the grass.

BTW: Make sure your implement isn't the problem. If the mower impedes the turning of the tractor / mower system, then the front wheels have to do extra work. This means grease the swivels, air up the tires and set the mower up to reduce the caster of the tail wheel(s).

/ Front tires plowing the ground
sandman2234 said:
...Seriously, do measure the bolt pattern on your Ford, and give the tire/wheel size. I might know of something that will work. You could also run LTtruck tires on it, dispite the fact that I don't like them, they will work, and give you more rubber contact, more air capacity, etc. A heavier duty set might even hold up to that FEL that you really ought to call me about while I still have time to come take it off your hands. (LOL)

I'll measure it (planning to spend tomorrow out there) but I probably won't spend the money to change anything. The tires are great tires, and do give good traction, so even with them tearing up the grass, I'm too tight to spend any money to change them out. I'll try some of this stuff when I get there (toe in/out checks and such). As for the FEL, well, I'd want to keep the teeth, and they would be too hard to take off at this point, so I'll probably just keep the whole thing, but I do appreciate the offer to lighten my load a bit. ;)

I do try to turn gradually. I'm not mowing right now or anything where I'd have to keep a tight turn radius, but I do have some tight spots getting in and out of the barn where I'm tilling the soil on a regular basis. (with the tires that is, not sure if the sarcasm comes across in a post)

/ Front tires plowing the ground #25  
In your tight barn areas, just remember the light touch on your steering brakes, as it should help.
David from jax

I sit here all broken hearted, a loader snatched from my grip, but I understand that you have more time invested in the ore that was mined for those teeth, then any of us could ever hope to compensate you for... so I will go back to my dutiful watch for another to appear on the horizon one day.
David

/ Front tires plowing the ground #26  
It seems like when I use the turning brake, the side that I brake on scuffs the turf, which is what he is trying to avoid. Maybe I'm just not using a light enough touch.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #27  
A light tap on the steering brake will take some of the force off the front tires, but too much of a tap will cause the rear brakes to stop a tire which will cause it to skid the inside tire. It is an acquired art on some tractors, others are fairly easy to deal with. Go out in your neighbors pasture and practice turning (don't want to mess up YOUR field, do you?) Watch the tracks left by the front ones as you slowly press on the brake pedal. It will become second nature after a while.
David from jax

/ Front tires plowing the ground #28  
seems to me the easiest fix would be as someone else said, simply change the fronts to a more automotive type tire, just remember to make sure they can handle the load the fel will put on them.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #29  
Or just slow down a little.

Or just don't worry about it. Seems like my B-I-L's pastures have a good many scuffs in them when they are wet. I don't really think it makes a whole lot of difference in the final sale weight of his calves.

/ Front tires plowing the ground #30  
Question for the masses: Is it a bad idea to lift the front end off the ground with the FEL to do something like widen them? I don't have a farm jack (yet), so that would be my only option right now if I was going to mess with the fronts.

Perfectly Ok to do.
Be sure to crack the lugnuts loose first and then block the rears to keep it from rolling accidentally even though the fel is on the ground. It's just another safety precaution required by Murphy.:) Finally, block up the tractor once it's lifted up so it doesn't crash down on you just in case. Another Murphy's Law thing.