JD 4300 Rear Lift Not Working Correctly

/ JD 4300 Rear Lift Not Working Correctly #1  

gulfofmexico

Recently, I purchased a 2000 JD 4300 off eBay. I bought this particular tractor because it had a grapple which works great. Here's the problem. The rear lift does not work properly. The lever is hard to push or pull and the three point hitch moves up or down real slow with little movement. You can tell the previous owner had never used the three point hitch. Maybe this is the problem. It appears to have plenty of hydraulic fluid.

Thanks

/ JD 4300 Rear Lift Not Working Correctly #2  
Welcome to TBN GOM:D

The stiffness of the rockshaft control is usually related to the lever itself, have you tried to lubricate the pivot and the other moving parts?

As for the 3PH (three point hitch) not moving, or moving very slow, I would check the Rate-of-Drop control, usually under the seat. It's purpose is to control the speed in witch the 3PH drops depending on the weight of the implement.

Short of that, I'd need some more info to help you like:
-Hours on machine
-Hours on the hydraulic fluid/filter

If the 3PH was never used, what ballast does/did the tractor have? Loaded tires alone are NOT enough!

/ JD 4300 Rear Lift Not Working Correctly #3  
You might get a more precise answer on the JD forum but I also have a 4300. There is a separate wire mesh filter for the rockshaft (3pth) system. This filter is either behind the seat in the housing or incorporated into the hose which feeds the "power beyond" outlets. There are also numerous pressure limiting valves and adjustments but if all the other hydraulics seem to work OK then I'd check the filter first. If it is OK then try to find a manual to do the other system checks....or if all else fails talk to a dealer. (if the power beyond hose is blocked then I would expect the engine to load down when you apply try to lift the 3pth). A plugged filter should not effect the down speed but there is a descent limiting valve (I think its under the front of the seat) that can be closed to slow down the rate of descent. Make sure this valve is open..

/ JD 4300 Rear Lift Not Working Correctly #4  
Remove the seat (four bolts, 10MM heads) & the right side lever cover, & make sure the linkage is clear & lubed. Loosen the "rate of drop valve" which is the yellow one below the front of the seat & you should be able to push the rock arms down by hand. The advice about changing filters & cleaning the screens is right on. I have a 4400 (same as yours for all intents & purposes, just a little more HP).

/ JD 4300 Rear Lift Not Working Correctly
pat32rf said:
You might get a more precise answer on the JD forum but I also have a 4300. There is a separate wire mesh filter for the rockshaft (3pth) system. This filter is either behind the seat in the housing or incorporated into the hose which feeds the "power beyond" outlets. There are also numerous pressure limiting valves and adjustments but if all the other hydraulics seem to work OK then I'd check the filter first. If it is OK then try to find a manual to do the other system checks....or if all else fails talk to a dealer. (if the power beyond hose is blocked then I would expect the engine to load down when you apply try to lift the 3pth). A plugged filter should not effect the down speed but there is a descent limiting valve (I think its under the front of the seat) that can be closed to slow down the rate of descent. Make sure this valve is open..

Today I removed the seat and removed the two bolts directly under the seat. Hydraulic fluid started coming out. Not sure but I think there is two much fluid. I have the glass eye hole where you check the fluid on the back. Could not find the wire mesh filter. When you say behind the seat are you talking about directly under the seat or on the back side of the tractor?

Thanks