Has anyone used a battery blanket?

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #1  

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
I'm thinking that it might be a good idea. I was going to use a floating charger, but as I did my research I found a table of battery efficiency versus temperature. My 'desk ref' says that for the range of 30 to 0 degrees F, the battery efficiency drops from 64% to 40% of full charge.

I found this one
Link

What do you think?

MikePA: Shortened huge link.

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #3  
Ragkar, coming from an area where "real cold" is the occasional night down to 0 deg C in the middle of winter, I am curious as to the need for a battery heater. 50 watts chugging away day, day out seems like a waste to me (refer my first remarks!:D )

Do you actually go outside at 0 deg F?:eek:

Cityfarma

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #4  
I have not used one but it makes good sence. I have always turned my lights on for a few minutes before starting the car to help warm up the battery. Also I try to keep good batteries in all the vehicles. Better yet build a heated garage!

0F outside is just getting good. sub 0 even more fun!

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #5  
I've used them for over 20 years on any equipment that must be left outdoors and used in the winter. My standard electrical connection hanging from the tractor or truck was a cord for a block heater and cord(s) for one or two battery blankets (depending on number and size of battery/ies), all plugged into a 3 to 1 electrical plug. That was plugged into a heavy duty extension cord fed from a 20A circuit. I plowed snow commercially and this setup never let me down.
They work. I still have one on my pickup truck. My B7800 doesn't have one because it has a cosy winter home.;)

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #6  
ragkar said:
What do you think?

I think a new, well charged battery in the long run would be far more reliable and far more cost effective.

Just my $0.02

Gary

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #7  
My '95 Mercury Mystique has an insulating blanket around the battery that came with the car; no doubt it is to keep the battery from becoming too HOT under the hood.

Then there is the electric HEATING variety of blanket which I imagine would be useful in very cold conditions.

Mike

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #8  
As per Herringchocker. :D

They do work. Use the blanket and block heater with a timer. Of course when a bad storm is predicted have everything plugged in and warm before and during the storm in case of power outages.:D

They also help brand new batteries.:D Of course one could remove the battery and take it inside to keep it warm. This has been done many a time.:D

/ Has anyone used a battery blanket? #10  
If you want to help the engine out more, use a frost plug water heater and fire it up 3 hours before you plan to start. (timer).

Even a 1/2 decent cold battery will fire up a warmed engine. Then again, I rarely use one except when it gets below -20F.

jb