anyone sold a tractor on ebay?

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #1  

leeinmemphis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5040 with FEL
Hey everyone,

I am looking to sell my tractor and was wondering if anyone has any dealings with buying/selling tractors on ebay? I've sold some of my implements on craigslist but it looks like I'll need to do something different to sell my tractor. There seems to be a couple of comparable sized tractors on there with bids that I would be comfortable with selling mine for. I was just curious if anyone else had any experiences selling something worth $30k on ebay?

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #2  
leeinmemphis said:
Hey everyone,

I am looking to sell my tractor and was wondering if anyone has any dealings with buying/selling tractors on ebay? I've sold some of my implements on craigslist but it looks like I'll need to do something different to sell my tractor. There seems to be a couple of comparable sized tractors on there with bids that I would be comfortable with selling mine for. I was just curious if anyone else had any experiences selling something worth $30k on ebay?

i sell and buy quite a few things on Ebay, but as a buyer i would be very very careful of buying something that expensive on an auction site. that is just MHO . i would need to see the item an am quite sure most would also. but a lot of folks sell cars and such on ebay. You could give it a try but make sure you cover all the bases and make sure you CYA:D

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #3  
Like Frank said, most people would want to see the tractor in person. But, I think it may be worth a shot, because you are exposing your ad to most people within driving distance. I wouldn't mind driving a couple hours to look at a tractor if it looks like what I'm looking for.

It also helps to have lots of pictures and as detailed a description as possible. I get a kick out of ebay auctions for cars, trucks, etc. with no picture! Makes you wonder what people are thinking.

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #4  
I've sold many iems on eBay inlucing a $30,000 car without any problems. I would not hesitate to sell a tractor on eBay. Where else do you have acess to so many buyers?

Andy

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #5  
I have bought two JD tractors on eBay. I was pleased with both transactions. The first I drove to North Carolina and paid cash. The second I bought and had shipped from Tampa, FL unseen. It had a few little problems but nothing major. I will do it again in a minute.

If you need a shipper I met a good guy with low rates. He runs from South Florida to Michigan every week. Let me know if you need him. thomas@gulfofmexico.com

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #6  
If your going to do it host your photos on
FREE eBay Auction Management, Auction Templates, Auction Tools, and Unlimited Image Hosting
They have free hosting of numerous hi res photos where ebay charges you for more then one and again for large photos. I have bought several pieces of heavy equipment off ebay, and sold a few item. Good photos really help the buyer.
I still like to inspect the equipment, so I generally travel with trailer after the auction and make payment and pickup in person. I have never had to back out on a purchase but some sellers offer "walk away with no hard feeling" others ask for the cost of listing the item back if the buyer walks away.
Others want 500 or 1000 down immediately. I have never paid that, I have alway just said see you at 3 pm tomorrow, I'll bring certified funds or cash.
Ken

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #7  
Yes, I've sold a tractor on eBay. Also a motorcycle and a camper. We got good people that won the auctions, all sight unseen except for the pictures. The motorcycle went to a guy in Connecticut, the camper to Upper Sandusky Ohio and the tractor to Tennesee. All smooth deals. That was before a lot of the scammers got their fingers in peoples accounts on big ticket items. We've used eBay alot besides those dealings and have had very little issues.

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #8  
I've bought and sold a bunch of smaller items on EBAY. I tried to sell one tractor but never got my reserve. I bought a non-running tractor on EBAY 2 years ago with the understanding it was a parts tractor. In 332 purchases and 95 sales I've had trouble with 2 purchases and 2 sales. My ratio of good buys to bad buys isn't that good when I see items in person before buying/selling at a local sale. All in all, not a bad way to sell stuff. It just ain't any fun if and when you're the 1 in 10,000 that has a bad selling experience and it happens to be an expensive item. Just keep one thing in mind when dealing on EBAY.

IF IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS.

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #9  
As for big things, I've sold two tractors and one motorhome on e-bay. All went quite well. I did have a lot of correspondence with the bidders during the bidding process. I also had a number of jerks asking questions and trying to low-ball me.

/ anyone sold a tractor on ebay? #10  
Yeah, that will happen all the time with guys wanting to know your reserve or if they can buy it now, but then they never bid on it.

I bought my tractor with fel, backhoe, rotary cutter, box blade and post hole digger on eBay. Also bought a really nice Arctic Cat 4x4 ATV. Had one of my Harleys on eBay but didn't get my reserve. Just sold a large business phone system for big bucks the other day. I must be one of the lucky ones not having had any problems buying or selling ... knock on wood.