'84 John Deere 650

/ '84 John Deere 650 #1  

djdanzl

Recently purchased a '84 JD 650 w/snowblower and I've got a few questions for those familiar with this unit.

1. I need an owners/service manual. Any suggestions?

If I had a manual I wouldn't need to ask the next questions-

2. I have very little brake and it appears like it is adjusted all the way. Am I missing something? It only has 1000 hours so I would hope it doesn't need a complete brake job.

3. There is a valve under the seat. What is that for? It appears to be stuck.

4. Do the turn key to left for glow plug position?

5. There is a toggle switch on the dash with a turtle and i believe a fuel symbol. What is this for?

Thanks in advance.

/ '84 John Deere 650 #2  
Based on my similar 770:

3. The valve is probably the 3pt hitch control. it controls the speed at which it drops.

4. Yes, however my glow plugs warm up either way. Turning left is a non-maintained contact that activates the plugs and right is the ignition with a glow plug cycle (about 2-3 seconds).

/ '84 John Deere 650 #3  
I have a 750 and 650/750 service manual so I'll try to answer your questions.

"1. I need an owners/service manual. Any suggestions?"
Yes, from the JD web site or have your local JD dealer order it. Manual is TM-1242 and covers 650's and 750's. Be sitting down when you get the price. It is a great manual about 2 inches thick and worth the price if you are going to do your own maintenance.

"2. I have very little brake and it appears like it is adjusted all the way. Am I missing something? It only has 1000 hours so I would hope it doesn't need a complete brake job."
Sounds like it probably does, may have been driven alot with parking brake set.

"3. There is a valve under the seat. What is that for? It appears to be stuck."
If its the one that looks like a roll pin, like the other poster said its the rate of drop valve for the rockshaft (three point hitch)Mine has a red plastic tube on it. If its the round one behind your feet, its the TPH hold up/shut off valve.

"4. Do the turn key to left for glow plug position?"
Like the other poster said, yes, although the 650 and 750 use a thermostart chamber instead of glow plugs in cylinders (same end effect though)

"5. There is a toggle switch on the dash with a turtle and i believe a fuel symbol. What is this for?"
If you are not talking about the light switch on the right side of the dash directly below the 3 red indicator lights, my manual doesn't show another one so I cant help you there. For the decal with the turtle and fuel symbol with a slash through it (should be located on green tin to right side of dash by hand throttle), it is for the hand throttle. The fuel symbol with a slash through it (hand throttle pulled all the way back, with a click detent) shuts off the engine. Pushed forward (out of detent) to turtle is slow enging speed. Pushed forward more toward rabbit is faster engine speed.

/ '84 John Deere 650 #4  
The toggle switch is likely for the front PTO electric clutch.

My Dad has an '84 (I think) 650 that I've spent a lot of hours with (we got it new back when I was just a young pup)... it's a great little tractor, with power beyond it's small size. I used to have that owners manual memorized back then... but it's been a long time since then ;) I still remember most of it... but I don't know how accurately. The valve directly under the seat that is on the 3PH control valve that looks like a roll pin in a stud is the drop rate control valve. The other valve that's under the front of the seat with the round hand wheel on it is the 3ph shutoff valve. The owners manual also said that you could partially close this valve to create a restriction in the hydraulic system to help heat the fluid in extremely cold weather. I don't know that I would recommend that though...

/ '84 John Deere 650
Thanks, you've all been very helpful. I think that I will bite the bullet and get the manual. It sure seems to be a great little tractor. I think I stole it for the price I paid. I've seen them for twice the price.:D

/ '84 John Deere 650 #6  
Just thought of something else...

Glow Plug...

Turning the key to the left and holding it heats the glow plug. It works by igniting a small amount of fuel in the intake manifold, thereby heating the incoming air to the cylinders while cranking the engine.

If it's quiet where you store the tractor, you can heat the glow plug, and if you listen very closely while it's heating, you'll hear a little "POOF" come from under the hood after around 20-40 seconds or so of heating. This is that small quantity of fuel igniting. You have to listen closely, it's a very faint sound. Once you hear this, IMMEDIATELY crank the engine, (throttle pushed full forward) and it should start. Once the engine is firing on both cylinders and running, throttle back so that the RPM's dont' go above 1500, and let it warm up a bit, then go play! If it's really cold, you may have to repeat this ritual a time or 2 before you get both cylinders firing and the engine running. Open the doors to your shed, it can be a little smoky if it's really cold. :)

/ '84 John Deere 650 #7  
   / '84 John Deere 650
I checked out the brakes closer today and got a slight bit of adjustment out of them. Has anyone done a brake job? How much for parts? Can an amateur mechanic do the job or is it better left to the pros? :confused:

/ '84 John Deere 650 #9  
Here is a list of manuals(paper/CD) for your tractor...

Operator's Manual

OMRW15455 650, 750 Tractors English

Operators Manual CD-ROM

OMRW15455CD 650, 750 Tractors English

Parts Catalog

PC1873 650 & 750 Compact Utility Tractors English

Parts Catalog CD-ROM

PC1873CD 650, 750 Compact Utility Tractors English

Technical Manual

TM1242 650 and 750 Utility Tractor English

Technical Manual CD-ROM

TM1242CD 650 and 750 Utility Tractor English

How you can Order manuals

Outside the United States and Canada, contact your local John Deere dealer.

1. Purchase online John Deere Technical Information Bookstore - Home Page

2. Phone: 800-522-7448

3. Contact your local John Deere dealer

You can order parts here... https://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/parts/index.html?tm=agus&link=alevel&location=parts