Tires How to check pressure on loaded tires?

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #1  

hayden

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, KX121, KX080
Anyone have any tricks for checking the pressure in loaded tires? I think mine are low, but when I put a gauge on them I get a squirt of fluid and a bad reading on the gauge (only 5 lbs or so). I think the liquid is preventing the gauge from getting a good reading.

Anyone have any techniques? I've got the valve at the 12 oclock position so it's as high as it can go. I was thinking of blowing in some air to see if that clears the valve, but my worry is that the tires are filled enough above the valve that it's always submerged.

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #2  
You can buy pressure gauges made for filled tires. I'm not sure if they are helpful or simply don't get damaged from the fluid. 5psi wouldn't suprise me though.

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #3  
Roll the tire until the stem is at the top. Bleed a little air to purge the valve before taking a reading. Use a cheap throwaway gauge.

If the valve seems to be submerged at 12:00, you might jack up the axle to let the bottom side of the tire go back to round, then take the reading.

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #4  
hayden said:
Anyone have any tricks for checking the pressure in loaded tires? I think mine are low, but when I put a gauge on them I get a squirt of fluid and a bad reading on the gauge (only 5 lbs or so). I think the liquid is preventing the gauge from getting a good reading.

Anyone have any techniques? I've got the valve at the 12 oclock position so it's as high as it can go. I was thinking of blowing in some air to see if that clears the valve, but my worry is that the tires are filled enough above the valve that it's always submerged.

You have the right technique down . . . valve stem at 12 o'clock, and as you said, I always gave mine a short blast of air to clear the valve stem. But the liquid will quickly ruin a normal gauge; has probably gotten yours already. The air/liquid gauges are not much more expensive than a normal air gauge, but that's what you want.

But if the tires are filled enough to be above the valve even at the 12 o'clock position, then you have too much liquid in there and need to let some out to start with.

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #5  
Buy an air/liquid gage (your dealer or NAPA). They're not expensive.
Jack the rear ( put the floor jack under the drawbar bracket) of your tractor just enough to get the tires off the floor. Rotate the stem to 12 O'Clock and check the pressure. Same thing on the other side.

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires?
Thanks guys, I'll try jacking up the wheel, clearing the valve, and measuring from there.

I've never heard of an air/liquid tire gauge - guess I'll have to get one.

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #7  
hayden said:
Thanks guys, I'll try jacking up the wheel, clearing the valve, and measuring from there.

YES HAYDEN,
Iasked the same question a couple years ago.The guys sent me to napa to buy mine.However you can use a regular one,just have your stems up at toplike said
ALAN

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #8  
hayden said:

The dial type work fine wih fluid. I got one from Harbor Freight for $2. Ive had trouble with the pencil style.
larry

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #9  
Remember they are only supposed to be filled to about 70%.

Andy

/ How to check pressure on loaded tires? #10  
Pressure is pressure.. either get a gage made for filled tires.. or just roll the tire till the air bubble is at the top...

I don't expect to see lots of pressure on rear tractor tires.. not like the fronts.. etc..

soundguy

hayden said: