Dealer discontinuing NH line

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #1  

R_Walter

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
I just walked into my nearest New Holland dealer to look for a Clevis pin because they always have a good line of accessories. Posted all over the front door was a notice saying that they were going to discontinue carrying the New Holland line as of December 31, 2007. No specific reason was given and when I asked I was told they were looking around for another line of tractors to carry, although they've been a Ford/NH dealer for 50+ years.

I'm feeling kind of good that I bought a Kubota and not a New Holland machine. The dealership is in Albuquerque, NM.

Last edited:
   / Dealer discontinuing NH line #2  
I was looking at NH and Kubota several years ago at Noble Ford in San Jose CA. They too have discontinued the New Holland Line.

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #3  
NH is a good tractor and seems to be pretty popular out my way, but we for sure see more kubota's and have more orange dealers than blue.

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #4  
My local dealer carries both New Holland and Kubota plus a bunch of big stuff (Hundai, Link Belt, etc). Judging from the number of tractors on the lot, I'd guess they sell 20-30 Kubutas for every New Holland.

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #5  
A New Holland, Kubota dealer in my area carries both but seems most Town Municipalities buy the bigger New Hollands and the consumers are buying the 70 HP and lower Kubotas. About 50/50 on his lot...

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #6  
What type of NH dealers are these dealers? From the NH website and searching the web they seem like they are either small, compact equipment dealers or old behind the times dealers as I can't fine much on either. Is the dealer dropping the line in NM Western Tractor?

Around here the New Holland dealers are doing quite well but then again they are full line New Holland dealers. When it comes to farm Kubota does not come close to competing with CNH. The Kubota dealers here is a little trailer sales company that expanded to start selling Kubota tractors, the other is a poorly ran company that also sells MF tractors and Landini but not very many of any. The third Kubota dealer is the furthest away and they are a large Case-IH dealership that sold Kubota before Case had a regular compact tractor line. But they have not added the Case compacts for one of two reasons, they can't because there is a NH dealer close by or they just don't want to. They are by far the most successful Kubota dealer in my area but they are also close to the city where compact sales are higher.

I can go to a Kubota dealer and look at a bunch of compact tractors and a few small ag tractors. I can go to Deere, Case-IH, Agco and New Holland dealers and look at compact tractors, small ag tractors, large ag tractors, pull type and self propelled harvesters and implements for just about every aspect of farming. For most of the US, Kubota dealers do not really compete much with the big OEM's.

I will say this, Kubota has a great reputation for compact tractors but then again they should have a great product since they do not have to worry about much more then the compact and utility segment. The rest of the OEM's have to constantly monitor and stay ahead of the others in every other aspect of the farm equipment market. The compact market isn't going to grow much more then it is and with new companies coming in there isn't much room for the big OEM's to grow so it really doesn't make much sense to sink a lot of money into competing with Kubota. You keep a good machine out there on the lots and grab the sales you can while keeping cost down.

I run all CNH equipment but did almost buy an old B series Kubota for maintaining the apartments. I do like them but I don't care for my local dealers which are all 25+ miles away. My NH dealer is 2 miles away, I have 4 Deere dealers withing 25 miles and my NH and Deere dealers all have great shops with good reputations while only one of my Kubota dealers have a good shop but terrible after sales service and they are the best of the three in terms of size and service capabilities but are also the furthest away.

I really would love to know if any of these NH dealers mentioned that are closing or did close have websites or sell anything else other then compacts and utility machines?

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #7  
Wonder if it's more a case of NH quitting them than them quitting NH.

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #8  
johnk said:
A New Holland, Kubota dealer in my area carries both but seems most Town Municipalities buy the bigger New Hollands and the consumers are buying the 70 HP and lower Kubotas. About 50/50 on his lot...

John, which dealership are you talking about?

Over here our towns run Case-IH, Deere and New Hollands. Basically, whoever gives them the best price for the machine. The Thruway is the same way. I don't recall seeing any Kubota's for road mowing machines. The local towns run Deere and New Hollands for town use. The city of Dunkirk runs mostly New Hollands but I think that is because my dealer is the closest dealership. You will find their NH's all over the city from cleaning up leaves, trees and other garbage along the roads and such to sweeping the beach on Lake Erie. Backhoe wise they run Case though but they are older machines.

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #9  
dgl24087 said:
Wonder if it's more a case of NH quitting them than them quitting NH.

Thats why I was wondering if they were compact only type dealers. These small dealers might not be productive enough for NH and like Deere they would rather have larger, more effective and efficient dealerships.

/ Dealer discontinuing NH line #10  
Robert,
Buffalo Tractor carries a lot of NH 70 HP and up. Not as many TC 30's and 45's but it seems there is more the same size smaller kubotas up to 60 HP. Lamb and Webster seems to carry more Kubota's from small to large plus the real big AG stuff.