Tires Fill Tires or Add Weight?

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #11  
I tend to agree with FWJ. What's "best" can't be decided in the abstract. It sounds like CT wants to add and subtract weight every so often, so ease of doing so appears to be a prime consideration. If it wasn't important to be able to remove weight conveniently once it's added, and CT had tricky slopes to deal with often, he might opt for filled tires over wheel weights in order to achieve additional stablility. CT, by staying focused on YOUR particular needs, you'll likely make the best decision.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #12  
montanaman said:
Because on the three point, the weight is farther back on the tractor and behind the rear axle, the weight provides leverage to in effect lift some weight off of the front axle. If we are talking cast weights on the wheels, then other than additional stability from the lower weight of filled tires, then weight is weight.

If the weight is something that you would ONLY want on while doing loader work, then weight on the three point is hard to beat.

You misread my reply. I don't question why weight on the 3-point hitch is "better" than on the axle in regards to ballasting for a loader. I raised the point that it would prohibit use of an implement on the hitch. Go back and re-read my reply with that understood.

I also questioned why cast weight on the axle would be "heavier" than 1/3 MORE weight from fluid in tires.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #13  
daTeacha said:
I do not use filled tires since a lot of my work is in the woods and a puncture would be a lot less fun with the tire filled.

Why is that? A flat is a flat.

On the 3pt ballast topic, that was my point as well. I do not want to rely on the 3pt as the weight I need for stability when using the loader. My box blade functions very well in this capacity, but what if I want to have a middle buster or two bottom plow on there (very little ballast from those) and still use the loader some? When that occurs I'm glad to have weight in the tires, or on the wheels. And for me it is not unusual to multitask that way so it isn't a trivial issue. I always prefer to have some weight on the 3pt, but when I can't the filled tires are very reassuring.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #14  
N80 said:

To fix a flat with air in tires, you simply insert a plug, or worst case remove the tire and patch from inside (removing tire may not by DIY depending on tire size and your skills).

With fluid in tires you have to pump out all the remaining fluid, store it or dump it somewhere, dry the flat area, fix the flat, and then re-fill the tire with fluid. More time spent, and most likely requires a professional tire service vs. possibly doing it yourself with just air in tires.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #15  
Z-Michigan said:
To fix a flat with air in tires, you simply insert a plug, or worst case remove the tire and patch from inside (removing tire may not by DIY depending on tire size and your skills).

I've removed the fronts from the rim which is pretty much a two man job (might get by with one) and I've removed full size Ag tractor rears from rims and it was a three man job. All of this was with hand tools. So that's a pain no matter how you look at it. The fluid is hardly an issue there. If the fluid is toxic you might have a problem with disposal but only if the tire has to come off the rim. (Moral, skip toxic fluid).

With fluid in tires you have to pump out all the remaining fluid, store it or dump it somewhere, dry the flat area, fix the flat, and then re-fill the tire with fluid. More time spent, and most likely requires a professional tire service vs. possibly doing it yourself with just air in tires.

I can't see that. If the hole is small enough to plug, you can plug it whether its got fluid in it or not. Rotate the hole to the top and plug away. If the hole is too big to plug, fluid disposal will likely not be an issue. Yes, you would have to refill it but I've done it, it is quite simple. Probably not much harder than replacing the wheel weights.

My point is, there might be an extra step or two, its just that that extra step isn't that big a deal. And there are extra steps with wheel weights too. If one of my rears had to go to a professional, the weights would have to come off because the tire/wheel would be too heavy anyway. And if those weights equalled what I get with fluid (400 pounds) its going to be a two man job anyway. There's no free lunch.

I do a lot of work in the woods. I've flattened the fronts a few times (no fluid in them), but never the rears. The point being, ease of flat repair really isn't an issue when deciding on wheel weights vs fluid. If the hole is bad enough it is going to be a huge pain no matter how you slice it.

I still think it all comes down to price and I'll say it again, if I got a free set of wheel weights today, I'd slap 'em right on there and keep the fluid too!

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #16  
Farmwithjunk said:
I also questioned why cast weight on the axle would be "heavier" than 1/3 MORE weight from fluid in tires.

Farmwithjunk,

I believe Art was referring to "cast weights" on the 3 pt hitch not "cast wheel weights". You will need to go back & read his reply. He of course is correct. The rear axle is the pivot point or fulcrum to any weight on the front end of the tractor. Therefore, the further out you put the same weight behind the pivot point, the more force (or counterweight) you have available to balance the front end. The 3 pt hitch is further back than the axle, therefore you would need less comparable weight for the same downward force as you would need with filled tires.

Vic

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #17  
kozak said:
Therefore, the further out you put the same weight behind the pivot point, the more force (or counterweight) you have available to balance the front end.

Vic

That may be true, but there are more reasons to add weight to a tractor than lightening the front end which in many cases is not desirable at all.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #18  
ctpres said:
I use my tractor some on sandy yard and am not real excited about filling tires and leaving tire tracks/ruts. I like idea ofremovable weight on rear. Is there any reason filled tires are better?

I like filled tires for using a implement like a BB or disk. It is cheaper than wheel weights and I like the idea of most of the weight well below the axle than on the axle.

If you can or want to afford wheel weights to be able to add or remove them as you like then that will probably be your best bet.

I don't have a sandy yard to worry about so I will always have liquid in my tires.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #19  
Well, I would like to add my experience to this topic. I have a 7520 Mahindra, it is one of the heavier tractors talked about on this forum. Bare tractor is 7350lbs. Add the loader and it's up around 10,000lbs. I added 4 sets of cast wheel weights to the rear, about 600lbs, I could hardly tell the difference,:( not that there was not a difference, but definitely not worth the money IMO.
So the next thing was to add fluid. I filled to the top of the rim on the fronts and rears. I'm not 100% sure about the weight that was added with the fluid, but it should be around 2000lbs with all 4 tires filled. My response to the fluid fill, WHY WOULD ANY BODY ADD WEIGHT ANY OTHER WAY?:confused: It is literally unbelievable how much better the tractor handles.:D Way, way more stable, much better traction. The tractor seems to even ride better to me. Other people that have done this have complained about a harsher ride, all I know is that on my tractor it made the ride smoother.:)

There are many reasons to add weight and just as many not to. If you have circumstances that allow the enhanced performance of a weighted tractor, I suggest that you fluid fill your tires. Price is right, and the added benefit is unbelievable compared to a non weighted machine.;)

Just my opinion, others may vary.

/ Fill Tires or Add Weight? #20  
Spoken like a guy that's not had to dismount and patch a bunch of wet tractor tires by himself!

( I'm just ribbing you a bit... ;) )

Many people that run wet tires, also run tubes. If you have a flat with a tube.. you have to dismount the tire... that ain't fun. Also.. even on non-tube tires... it's generally harder to fix em if they are wet... Ain't always like a car tire that you can plug sometimes.. better fix is a patch.

Soundguy

N80 said:

On the 3pt ballast topic, that was my point as well. I do not want to rely on the 3pt as the weight I need for stability when using the loader. My box blade functions very well in this capacity, but what if I want to have a middle buster or two bottom plow on there (very little ballast from those) and still use the loader some? When that occurs I'm glad to have weight in the tires, or on the wheels. And for me it is not unusual to multitask that way so it isn't a trivial issue. I always prefer to have some weight on the 3pt, but when I can't the filled tires are very reassuring.