Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #21  
patrick_g said:
Are those attributes inclusive or potentially exclusive? I mean, do you have to need it and want it and afford it or will just one or two of the three be sufficient justification?

Lots of tractors are bought because of just two of them and strictly speaking some are bought on just one justification (want.)

Do you propose all three must be present simultaneously? Want and afford seem to rule the roost with need a distant third.

Pat
I wanted a set up where i could leave a tiller and front blade on a tractor.
I also needed a tractor to mow around the house and where I don't /can't mow with the BX23 with a 60'' mmm.

A Delux JDx749 would have met the mowing need for $13000 but would not have satisfied the want for a tractor that I could leave a blade and tiller on.
My solution was to spend the exact same $13000 on 2 BX1500s with 3 point hitches and rear PTO's on them where the JDx749 had neither of those features making it impossible to use a tiller or any other 3 point attachment on it.
For the same $13000 as the JD I was able to fullfill both my wants and needs where the JD only covered the mowing need.
Not knocking the JD a real fine tractor but it just didn't fit my circimstances.

Why do I need /want 3 tractors some ask?
My answer why settle for 2 tractors if you can have 3 for the same or less money?

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #22  
patrick_g said:
Are those attributes inclusive or potentially exclusive? I mean, do you have to need it and want it and afford it or will just one or two of the three be sufficient justification?

Lots of tractors are bought because of just two of them and strictly speaking some are bought on just one justification (want.)

Do you propose all three must be present simultaneously? Want and afford seem to rule the roost with need a distant third.

Pat

Well being a practical kind of guy my number one deciding factor is can I afford it. If I can't afford it it's a no go. After that is do I want it and/or do I need it? If one of these factor exist it's in the garage.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #23  
I have a 5500 Mahindra. My dad has a 2610 Yanmar. We swap back and forth all the time. His little tractor can manuver very well in the woods around me. My tractor can move 4 times as much as his and do it way faster. I vote for having 2 ok instead of one real nice one.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #24  
KennethBrown said:
I have a 5500 Mahindra. My dad has a 2610 Yanmar. We swap back and forth all the time. His little tractor can manuver very well in the woods around me. My tractor can move 4 times as much as his and do it way faster. I vote for having 2 ok instead of one real nice one.
Just one tractor severely limits versatility no matter how deluxe it is or how many bells and whistles it has or how much it cost.
Why not take the same money and vastly increase versatility and functionality with 2 or more tractors?

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #25  
I have three tractors right now and each is specialized in what I use them for. When I'm done clearing land and moving dirt, then I plan on selling all three and buying one really nice tractor. I'm not sure about a cab yet, but figure something in the 40 to 45 hp range with a FEL. Then I'd love to have an old tractor of some kind. I don't really have a specific brand in mind, because it would be more for fun and pulling a trailer for hay rides type of thing.

Eddie

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #26  
You bring up a good point. many times I've mentioned getting a smaller tractor, plus a good used big one. Sometimes by just sacrificing unneeded 'chrome' you get more practicality. for instance... As long as you don't have a leg problem where you need a flat platorm in the operator area.. then you can usually get a cheaper tractor where you straddle the transmission.. etc.

Soundguy

Bob_Young said:
Just wondering what the thoughts are about making this choice. I've noticed the deluxe tractors with all the bells and whistles are usually rather pricey but still very popular. For the money, you could come close to buying a new basic tractor of the same HP plus a second, smaller, used basic/Ag tractor.

As you can see from the sig. block, I'm into multiple tractors and find it yields lots of flexibility. I drool over the loaded deluxe models, but would hate to give up the capability of being ready to immediately jump on 2 or more different tasks as the situation dictates. If another operator is available, working two rigs can get the work done fast. This helps a lot on field jobs or when haying. Also, with different size machines, it seems there's always something that's well matched to the task.

I'm wondering how many considered the multiple tractor approach and dismissed it in favor of going "deluxe". Also, what your rationale was and your experiences have been. Did you later see a need for another tractor or was the one all you'd ever want?

I'm aware that for some, going deluxe is a necessity. 100 degree heat, allergies or breathing problems can lock you into a cab. The deluxe rigs can also keep us tractoring when disabilities associated with age or injuries kick in. Also the Ag guys who spend 10 to 12 hours a day in the field, day after day, need the cabs and options for productivity. My question is addressed more toward occasional users where such constraints aren't a factor.

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, not trying to start anything. Just trying to tap the brain trust for information and experience. Would like to/may have to go the deluxe tractor route meself :)
Bob

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #27  
In the final analysis it comes down to personal preference and you can't argue with that. You can talk/debate utility, convenience, efficiency, budget and on and on back and forth. Depending on your requirements and how you weight them, different answers come out even before you overlay personal prejudice and such. It comes down to (as most topics over which there is a difference of opinion do) the individuals personal preference. We all tend to see the world through our own filters which supports our view that our way is the right way and the other guy may get by but would be better off to do it the way I do.

Some people like a straight claw on a carpenter's hammer and others like a curved claw and there are times when one is more suited than the other. Some like the magnetic nail holder and some wouldn't use it if you paid them. Some folks just love a framing hatchet. Others use power nailers except when they absolutely can't and then begrudgingly pick up an old fashioned hammer, but under protest.

The most important issue is, can you get done what you want/need to get done in the time you can allot and within the budget you are willing/able to commit? Then if you are lucky and have an open mind you might, just might sometimes learn something from someone that lets you modify your approach in some beneficial way.

There are different philosophies that can approach a problem from different assumptions and generate more than one satisfactory solution or course of action. One potato two potato... one tractor, or two or more. If it works for the one it has to work for, it is the right solution for him.

Some folks are happy to maintain more engines, more tires, more whatever for the benefits they perceive they derive from having redundant tractors. Some folks try to find, and may get close enough to satisfy their needs, a single tractor that will git 'er done for them. Neither is right or wrong and unless you had a lot more input than is customarily given here you will just have to agree that someones situation is good for them until they tell you otherwise.

My tractor is too small for some of you and too large for others. It is not versatile enough for some and too tricked out to suit others. I guess that is why there is such a wide spectrum of tractor features at all the different size and power levels.

Maybe I have just been unusually lucky to have accidentally selected a tractor that fits my diverse needs so well that I just don't have enough jobs out of its range to motivate me to want additional tractors. It isn't that I don't ever do things that are a bit above the easy capability of my tractor, I just don't do them often enough to be a problem and I don't mind hiring a dozer or a track hoe excavator or whatever for really big jobs. This is less than a once a year thing.

I find it very interesting to hear everyone's comments regarding their situation and preferences. Within a reasonably limited budget there probably isn't much chance of greatly improving any of the situations described.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Pat

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #28  
patrick_g said:
Some people like a straight claw on a carpenter's hammer and others like a curved claw and there are times when one is more suited than the other.
Pat
;) I think I will buy one of each so I won't have to decide between them.== L B ==:D

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #29  
LBrown59 said:
;) I think I will buy one of each so I won't have to decide between them.== L B ==:D

Sounds good to me, I have several in both styles in various weights with F/G, wood, and steel handles, even with anti-vibration tuning forks in the hollow handle. My entire hammer collection's cost won't come to a decent fraction of one percent of the cost of maintaining a second tractor for a while.

Pat

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #30  
a delux tractor? what is that? if you want delux, get a porsche. A tractor moves dirt, nothing that moves dirt is "deluxe."

I think you are fooling yourself into spending to omuch money on a tractor.

Get two. The older I get, the harder it is to take implements off. I'd love to have a tractor for each implement. haha.