Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
Just wondering what the thoughts are about making this choice. I've noticed the deluxe tractors with all the bells and whistles are usually rather pricey but still very popular. For the money, you could come close to buying a new basic tractor of the same HP plus a second, smaller, used basic/Ag tractor.

As you can see from the sig. block, I'm into multiple tractors and find it yields lots of flexibility. I drool over the loaded deluxe models, but would hate to give up the capability of being ready to immediately jump on 2 or more different tasks as the situation dictates. If another operator is available, working two rigs can get the work done fast. This helps a lot on field jobs or when haying. Also, with different size machines, it seems there's always something that's well matched to the task.

I'm wondering how many considered the multiple tractor approach and dismissed it in favor of going "deluxe". Also, what your rationale was and your experiences have been. Did you later see a need for another tractor or was the one all you'd ever want?

I'm aware that for some, going deluxe is a necessity. 100 degree heat, allergies or breathing problems can lock you into a cab. The deluxe rigs can also keep us tractoring when disabilities associated with age or injuries kick in. Also the Ag guys who spend 10 to 12 hours a day in the field, day after day, need the cabs and options for productivity. My question is addressed more toward occasional users where such constraints aren't a factor.

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, not trying to start anything. Just trying to tap the brain trust for information and experience. Would like to/may have to go the deluxe tractor route meself :)
Bob

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #2  
I have one tractor, which I never thought of as deluxe or basic. It's just the way it was sitting there, except for the grapple, which about doubles the usefulness of the whole rig.. The HST makes it better for certain chores, worse for others. I chose to go with it. The seat is very nice, but is part of the ergonomics that made me choose this machine over others. The cruise control came with it, but doesn't see any use. The lights are needed.

I guess I wonder what makes a tractor deluxe? I know the DX prefix on mine means something like deluxe, but I don't feel pampered on it. My first 8N seemed pretty fancy, too. It even had steering brakes. The next one had a Sherman and a loader so it seemed even fancier.

Sure, I would love to have more than one tractor, but I can only use one at a time and this one seems to be able to do anything I think I can handle without professional help. If it was bigger, I couldn't get as much use out of it nor park it inside. Ditto with having a cab. So, is it fancy?? I don't really know. I just like it and use it a lot to ease getting chores done. A stronger one might come in handy now and then, but so would my old B7100 when I want to get into small places. As a guy who can only have one, I guess the DX is just about right.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #3  
My story is really a lot like da Teacha. I have one tractor. I can only drive one tractor at a time and since this one does very nearly all I ever need done since house building (outdoor part) is done except for landscaping which is just right for this one tractor. I did put on Pat's Easy Change System and have quicktach for the FEL so changing implements is not much harder than changing tractors.

I can survive on an open tractor. I could walk to town in a blizzard too but it isn't my first choice. I have cab and air and think the expense is justified. Read the facts about cancer rates and such in farmers and decide how many acres you want to spray from an open tractor. If I knew I was never going to spray ag chemicals I wouldn't have to have the cab (wife insisted) but it would still be really nice.

I have cattle and they are dependent on me in winter for food and water as standing hay can be covered in ice and snow and the ponds can freeze over so I break the ice mostly with my FEL and I put out round bales. It is just a lot nicer to do this from a heated cab.

I can't remember ever wanting or needing a smaller tractor although since I can't fill my tires I use a box blade for ballast and that necessitates a certain degree of care in maneuvering in tight spaces. A smaller tractor could get in tight places easier but would it be able to take a bale down from the third row. It could get in there easier but my tractor is as small as I would want to handle a large round bale with. I stack my hay three bales high in the barn with my tractor. A smaller one couldn't do it and I'd lose approximately 1/3 of my storage utilization. It would take a really much larger tractor to stack bales 4 high and the super structure (pipe trusses forming the frame of the hay barn won't allow 4 rows.

I'm not so sure I am a special case but I have no need for a smaller tractor and most of the time no use for a larger one. Buying a larger tractor for the few times I might be better off is not attractive.

I'm sure there are others for whom multiple tractor=s is a terrific idea, just not in my situation.

Pat

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #4  
Allergies put me in a cab to hay this summer. Have always just suffered thru, until then. I went with more basic cab tractor because it was 10 grand less than one with all the bells and whistles. We are mutliple tractor household. The wife puts nearly as many hours a year on a tractor as I do. The biggest splurge I made on the cab rig was MFWD. It is a real lifesaver in the winter handling round bales with the FEL.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #5  
Most of my life I was a 1 tractor man, a 8N. Later I got a Massey 85 that was given to me by the farmer I rebuilt it for several years before.

I wanted to get some land leveled and when I got the price from the dozer guy, I bought an old Oliver cletrac with a dozer blade and did the job for less than it would have cost me to get it done.

Well I sold the Massey, it was really too big to work with in my woods and also the Oliver after I finished the work I wanted done.

I bought the Kioti because I figured it was time to own at least one new tractor in my life, and while I have an old Deerborn loader for the 8N I've never hooked it up. I still don't know how I lived without a FEL.

I wouldn't call any of my tractors deluxe.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #6  
I'm not sure if my experience fits your question or not. For years I had two tractors: a JD 112 garden tractor and a Ford 9N. The 112 handled lawn mowing, snow blowing, roto tilling. The 9N powered the cement mixer, plowed snow, hauled logs out of the wood, did multiple chores with the Carryall, etc.

There were some jobs for which the 9N was a bit large, but the JD112 too small. Both were old machines, and even though the 9N was almost as reliable as a brick, I still found I was performing maintenance and repairs on two machines. I don't like leaving a tractor outside, so both fit inside but it was crowded. And I didn't have FEL capability.

I bought the 755 which could do it all, sold the 112 and gave my father-in-law the 9N. I gained reliabilty and inside space for more working room. After 15 years, I'm still happy. I'd love to have both those machines back, but that's only because I love tractors! I don't really need them, and I have enough other vehicles, machinery and buildings to maintain anyway.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #7  
Patrick_G has already said exactly what I would have said... we must be two sides of the same coin... one in Texas, one in OK:eek:

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #8  
I have 2 tractors and love it. I use the New Holland TN75D for backhoe work and heavy lifting and the Ford 2120 (TC55) for bucket work and 3 pt hitch attachments. Many times more efficient that 2 times one tractor due to lack of having to take backhoe on and off. In rocky New England I almost can't function with out backhow even to rake ground. Need it to pull rocks, roots and loosen hardpan besides obvious digging function. I actually have more than 2.

Andy

Last edited:
   / Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #9  
I vote for two.

One deluxe tractor cannot pull itself out of the mud.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #10  
Since I only have one basic tractor, even two basic tractors would be better. One being a deluxe would only add to the excitement.