What gear & park brake when hoeing?

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #11  
bx23barry said:

Ditto.

If I have some not so straight lines or tree holes to dig, I often leave in gear without brake. Then I can reach around and push the treadle by hand while sitting in the backhoe seat and slowly "drive" to the next hole.

On slopes, I make sure that the brake is set and in gear. When about to move, I leave the hoe and stabilizers down until I am physically in the drivers position. Then raise hoe bucket, fel and stabilizers.

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #12  
If I find that the tractor(JD4300HST) is moving around too much I engage 4wd,low range,bucket down. If just doing a trench type job I leave it in 2wd and lift the back end with the hoe to move forward or sidewise. I can reach the joystick and range lever from the hoe seat but not the 4wd lever. I just have the small (7' reach) hoe so am constantly on the move.

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #13  
I almost never use the park gear, I leave the tractor in a low gear, with the bucket down as a drag on the tractor, and bump the shuttle shift forward or reverse or push the tractor with the bh

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #14  
Neutral, no parking brake. It wouldn't happen but if it did, it would totally embarass any professional hoe operator to move the machine any way besides with the backhoe. The first time the Boss saw him turn the seat to move the machine forward, he'd send him for his check.
That being said, most TBNrs aren't Pros. Whatever works best and safest for you is the way to go.

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #15  
LBrown59 said:
*I know my BX 23 will take off rolling down hill when it's in Neutral and the brake is off at the same time.
So then why should I increase the chance of that occurring by placing it in Neutral unnecessarily?
2*Why focus on stopping it after it gets under way when you can prevent it from getting started in the first place?
== L B ==

I don't know of an experienced operator that doesn't move the machine with the hoe, in neutral and brake off. It's much more productive and you keep your bucket and out riggers close to the ground and by definition you're pushing or pulling the unit with the hoe so you will be keeping it in contact with the ground.

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #16  
joe48 said:
I don't know of an experienced operator that doesn't move the machine with the hoe, in neutral and brake off. It's much more productive and you keep your bucket and out riggers close to the ground and by definition you're pushing or pulling the unit with the hoe so you will be keeping it in contact with the ground.

Newbie BH owner here. Do you keep the FEL bucket down when moving with the hoe or do you raise it each time? Also, keep the FEL bucket flat? or cutting edge down? Probably a dumb question but I don't have anybody around to teach me these things.....

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #17  
Aquaman said:
Newbie BH owner here. Do you keep the FEL bucket down when moving with the hoe or do you raise it each time? Also, keep the FEL bucket flat? or cutting edge down? Probably a dumb question but I don't have anybody around to teach me these things.....

Buy this book and read it...:D
https://www.equiptrain.com/backhoes.htm

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #19  
Aquaman said:

It depends on conditions and what your doing.
Usually if I'm onflat ground and digging a trench, I keep the bucket flat and just off the ground as I go along,lift the outriggers and push with the hoe and you can steer with the front wheels to follow a line.
If you're digging in tough stuff, ie: roots ,rocks etc and encounter resistence that tends to pull the rig back to the hole ,then I curl the bucket over and use the cutting edge for extra "bite" to help stop that pull back.
With different situations try different things and use what works for you, JUST ALWAYS USE GOOD SAFETY PRACTICES.

/ What gear & park brake when hoeing? #20  
joe48 said:
It depends on conditions and what your doing.
Usually if I'm onflat ground and digging a trench, I keep the bucket flat and just off the ground as I go along,lift the outriggers and push with the hoe and you can steer with the front wheels to follow a line.
If you're digging in tough stuff, ie: roots ,rocks etc and encounter resistence that tends to pull the rig back to the hole ,then I curl the bucket over and use the cutting edge for extra "bite" to help stop that pull back.
With different situations try different things and use what works for you, JUST ALWAYS USE GOOD SAFETY PRACTICES.

Joe,
Thank you. That makes good sense. I hope to get a little better with practice. Thanks again.:)
Randy