Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #1  

RedDirt

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23, Wards 16HP HST Garden Tractor, (previous) D2 Logging Cat
Anyone with a hoe always, or should always, fret "What's down there?" before they dig. Keeping a record of what you place in the ground can avoid some costly mistakes later. A accurate As-Built record can also assist developing the next underground project because you will know what is in the ground and where.

At "work" we keep track of all major underground utilities by taking and recording as-built shots of the pipes/conduits with a digital theodolite while the trenches are still open. This gives us an x,y,z location and I'm confident I can later find any of these points underground within a hand shovel (+/- 2 or 3 inches). At "home" I still use the method I developed before work became so sophisticated: crossed tapes. Carefully done, this method can yield almost the same accuracy, especially in the x,y plane. Basically this is a simple navigation exercise.

I start with a rough plan view sketch of the underground work and permanent locations I'm going to measure these point from. The sketch doesn't need to be precise. It only serves as a "key" to your dimensions. On the job we call it the cartoon.

The permanent locations can be the corners of buildings, fence posts, even trees (that you don't expect to cut down). I mark these A, B, C, etc on the sketch. (If you use a tree among other trees be sure to label it 36" OAK, 18" Maple, or similar so you can positively identify it later.)

Then I label the points I am measuring. These are usually the "turning points" (the 45/90 degree fittings or "T" intersections) of underground pipe/conduit or random points along a curved line. On my sketch I mark these points 1, 2, 3, etc.

Next I make a handwritten three column spreadsheet.

The first column is for the point number. The second two columns are for the points I measured from (the letters) and the associated dimension.

Next take a tape measurement from a nearby permanent "above ground" location to the pipe. Now take another measurement from a different permanent "above ground" location. It is most accurate if the lines of these two tape measurements intersect at about 90 degree angle plus or minus 30 degrees. I'm speaking here of the angle formed by the two tapes, not the angle between the pipe and the tape, that's immaterial.

The spreadsheet is filled in as you take the measurements. Thus:

1 / A-30'-5 1/2" / C-20'-2"
2 / A- 45'-8 1/4" / D-58'-4 3/4"
3 / B-18'-2" / D-20'-7"
etc.

The fixed points you measure from and the points you are measuring can be added to the sketch and spreadsheet on-the-fly as needed.

Next time you are digging in that area pull out your sketch and spreadsheet and you can re-create with the crossed tapes what you have buried underground. You'll know really close where your hazard zones are. If you've measured each "turning point" and intersection (and random points along a curve), the remainder of the piping lies between these points. Like a "connect-the-dots" drawing.

Two tapes used simultaneously make this task quicker. Mostly I use a 100' and a 300' tape but shorter tapes will still work; you may just need more points to measure "from". I usually tack the end of each tape at two of the locations I'm using and literally cross them over the pipe intersection I'm measuring. When the angles between the tapes gets "too narrow" (less than 60 degrees, or 45 degrees "in a pinch") I move the end of one or both tapes.

If striving for accuracy you can hand hold a plumb bob at the intersecting tapes and and adjust the intersection until the bob is just above the measured point.

If you have a builder's level you can measure and record the depth of the underground pipe from a bench mark elevation. Typically "at home" I just add a fourth column to the spreadsheet labeled "BG" for "below grade" and simply tape measure to about where I think finish grade will be.

You can actually make a fairly decent drawing from the spreadsheet data especially if you have a good plan of your property showing the buildings. But remember, if you are measuring on a slope, the plan will not be an accurate "horizontal" representation. If your land is reasonably level your finished plan can be quite accurate. You can plot a lot of items (including the points you are measuring "to") using crossed tapes.

By the way, for re-creating your underground work later on the surface it doesn't mater if you first measured "along the slope" of the land. As long as you measure the same way later the point you previously recorded will lie below the intersecting tapes.

Is this record keeping tedious? Yes, a bit. But the first time you hit your 220volt service or water main you'll wish you'd taken the time.

I hope this saves someone a future catastrophe.

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #2  
Good advice RD,

When I built my home, I took photographs of every open trench, every pipe that was laid and every cable that was underground. I DIDNT take measurements. A lot of my photos had land markers that I thought I could use as reference but after 5 years, these begin to vary a bit. I have a pretty good idea where everything is give or take a few feet but I would prefer to know EXACTLY where they are.
Case in point, earlier this year I was running a new waste pipe from my house. I spent quite a bit of time planning and marking the ground where I thought the water supply pipe and underground telephone lines to the house were in that part of the yard. The day I started trenching away with a mini excavator, no kidding, about 5 minutes later, I has an un-planned water fountain. My reconing was off by about 6 feet, even though the photographs looked like I was a good bit away from the buried water pipe, I wasn't. Not a catastrophy in this case but a darn inconvenience for sure... Gave my wife something to chuckle about. BTW, I know EXACTLY where the power main is, I had the sense to map, photograph and measure where that is...

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #3  
I like to back fill half way and then lay a run of “caution” tape before filling the rest of the trench. Hopefully if digging in the future you will pull up the caution tape before the utility. Just a little cheap insurance if you have forgotten where things are buried.

MarkV

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #4  
MarkV said:
I like to back fill half way and then lay a run of 田aution tape before filling the rest of the trench. Hopefully if digging in the future you will pull up the caution tape before the utility. Just a little cheap insurance if you have forgotten where things are buried.

MarkV

I'm a belt and suspenders type.

In addition to the yellow caution tape, I laid ribbons of metallic tape in the trenches for metal detectors. My electrical contractor left enough of this tape on-site so I could drop some in the water line trenches.

I dropped a handful of galvanized bolts in the bends of the trenches for the metal detectors.

And I buried lengths of 10ga insulated copper wire in the trenches with the ends of the wire exposed in the valve boxes and at risers for hose bibbs. These can be used for those electronic tone generators sometimes used for trench finding.

Pretty inexpensive and will save time if and when I need to get to the water pipes and electrical conduit.

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #6  
I use that foam seal (used on the concrete foundation before the pressure-treated plate goes down) get the pink and later it about 8" above conduit or pipe. Also watched experienced operators and when they're not sure they use the bucket to push away the dirt instead of curling it in more of a chance to see it before you rip it out. -Ed

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #7  
Question for the group:

I have a plastic outflow pipe from my private sewage disposal system that leads to an evaportaion pond. I know where it starts and ends, but there is about an 80 foot horizontal offset between the two. Since I didn't install the system, I don't know the routing of the pipe.

Has anyone ever tried running a fish tape or some such thing through a plastic underground pipe and then tracking it with a metal detector?

I don't have a metal detector, but I've seen some advertised fairly cheap and thought this might be a good way to try and trace the pipe.

Thanks.

/ Tracking your "as-built" underground pipes #8  
Depending on the length of the run, you may be able to run a fish tape through it, If you can't track the tape with the detector you may be able to fashion something to pull through with the tape you can track as you pull it through.

If the run is to long you may be able to suck a "mouse" with a string attached through the pipe with a shop vac, then pull back something you can track.