Dang Cats!

/ Dang Cats! #51  
blueriver said:
You really think the corpes will kill the wildlife? My dog ate a full bar of rat bait, I thought for sure he was a goner, that was last year and he's still sniffin around the barn for more! I really don't know was just wondering, I mean that's a small amount that a mouse or rat consumes.

It is not the small amount that 1 mouse eats but the amount many mice eat. A hawk or similar may only need to eat a few to get a lethal dose. A large dog may just get sick. It also depends on the active ingredient in the bait.

My request is simply that if you can avoid killing wildlife, please do so.

Cityfarma

/ Dang Cats!
cityfarma said:

Cityfarma

That's right, hire a cat to do your dirty work! My kitties certainly treat their victims humanely. No torture treatment from them - just instant death ;)

/ Dang Cats! #53  
I had the same problem with a cat in my barn who would sleep on the hood or seat of my tractor. The solution... put a cat bed in the barn and raise the hood and tilt the seat until the cat learns to sleep on the cat bed... Problem solved!

/ Dang Cats! #54  
I keep chicken and horse feed in my machine shop and it took no time at all for the mouse problem to get out of control when I first started keeping it there. A kitten from the neighbors and a stray that decided to stay was all it took to get back in control. For some reason they don't bother the tractors.
Nic.

/ Dang Cats! #55  
davitk said:
That's right, hire a cat to do your dirty work! My kitties certainly treat their victims humanely. No torture treatment from them - just instant death ;)

I quit using the bait after the dog ate it, that was the wifes request! How you teach those kitties to do the instant death:p I now have two, they are a hoot to watch when they get a mouse! I love it when they decide to let the mouse have a little time, the cats lay back, somtimes even start the bath routine, then that mouse decides to break for it and WHAM its on again!!:D

/ Dang Cats! #56  
cityfarma said:
It is not the small amount that 1 mouse eats but the amount many mice eat. A hawk or similar may only need to eat a few to get a lethal dose. A large dog may just get sick. It also depends on the active ingredient in the bait.

Cityfarma

All I am thinking, little mouse, little amount and by the time they die there aint much left of the corspe, That wildlife, I am thinking, would have to have an all you can eat buffet ... Don't hawks, owls and other predators look for the movement of the live hunt? I'm not sure about any of this, just making conversation:)

/ Dang Cats!
blueriver said:
How you teach those kitties to do the instant death:p I now have two, they are a hoot to watch when they get a mouse! D

Just a little tounge in cheek. Don't think I've ever seen a cat hungry enough to eat dinner before the party.
:rolleyes:

/ Dang Cats! #58  
We used to have lots of wild cats that the neighbors used to feed and P on our porch, car wheels and poop in the yard next to drivers door. I got an animal trap and relocated them to a better neighbor hood then the mice and rats came ? I want the cats back
Think about this and try and close your shop up, the cats do more good than you think and they don't eat wires :D
Jim
:)

/ Dang Cats! #59  
blueriver said:
All I am thinking, little mouse, little amount and by the time they die there aint much left of the corspe, That wildlife, I am thinking, would have to have an all you can eat buffet ... Don't hawks, owls and other predators look for the movement of the live hunt? I'm not sure about any of this, just making conversation:)

Some of the common baits take days to kill the pests. They may return to the bait a number of times and build up the level of poison in their system. They may then be taken by hawks etc while the poison acts. The poisons build up and kills the bird.

If the pest dies, lizards and other carion eaters will devour the corpses and may suffer similar fate.

With so many other man made causes acting on wildlife, we don't need any more.

Cityfarma

/ Dang Cats! #60  
Are the electronic ultrasonic mouse repellent devices just smoke and mirrors, or do they actually work?