Using an antique

/ Using an antique #1  

HatchDent

I really like the looks (and pricing) of the older John Deere B's - but I would like to do some tasks like loading, tilling and mowing. What are the difficulties in finding modern attachments that would work on an old tractor?

/ Using an antique #2  
I also like the old 2 lungers. I have used a 1950 vintage B and owned a 1939 B. These tractors have very low engine RPMs if I remember correctly about 750-800. since the pto speed is 540, the pto has only minor gear reduction. This means very little pto power. The B's I'm familar with had no hydralics, therefore you would have to add this, usually by a pto driven pump. If I remember right the pto isn't live therefore you wouldn't have hydralics unless the clutch was engaged.

The upside, is they had great lugging power and sound so good!

Larry

/ Using an antique #3  
most of the older tractors did not have hydraulics so any will be an addon. i had a ford 2n which i just sold. i was lucky in that the loader worked from a engine driven pump. so i could raise dump ets. with the clutch disengaged but a lot of them need to have the clutch engaged to operate(almost useless)+the pto power left a lot to be desired. as it needed the clutch enjaged also.if u go that route, be careful! but i do have to admit that nothing sounds and looks like an older tractor/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif

/ Using an antique #4  
I grew up on a JD B. They have lots of power, but no live PTO, a hand clutch, no PS, etc. You would have a much easier time with a modern tractor for doing loader work, tilling, and mowing.