part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #1  

WifethinksImworking

Hi. First time poster and shopper for CUT. I am currently looking at 2.

One is a brand new Montana 41hp HST tractor with FEL, ROPS for $21,000.

The other is a 2004 Kubota L4630hp GST tractor, 300hrs with FEL and CAB (htg, ac, radio, rear&side defrost) for $21,500.

I have 37 acres with a neglected farm (barn, silos, garages, buildings) and I mostly will be doing field mowing along with a fair amount of FEL work (moving rocks, some earth, landscaping/mulching, toting, plowing, etc.).

I know cabs are nice but I am not sure if it is worth it for me. I will be lucky if I average 8hrs/week on the tractor. Plus, I am concerned about how easy it is to scratch/damage the cab doing loader work.

Anyone have any input on Cab versus no-Cab or on the above comparison? Is it easy to take a cab on and off? I know Montana is not the brand that Kubota is but Montana seems to be a nice tractor in comparison and one gets the 3yr warranty on the new tractor.

Thanks a lot!

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #2  
Where are you located? Snow/cold where you are? I live in northern NY and don't have a cab. Sure wish I did.

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #3  
Yeah, it depends on where you are and what all you want to do with it. If you have to use the tractor regardless of weather conditions a cab would be nice, esp. if you live somewhere where it snows or gets cold. If you work under trees, or live someplace with a moderate climate, or can use the tractor on selected days a cab could be unnecessary...

Oh, another thing: Is the Kubota out of warranty?

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #4  
This may help in your decision. All of the components that go into new Kubotas are manufactured by Kubota; they are a total in-house manufacturer, that builds componets that have a very low failure rate, unless abused! The 300 hrs is minimum time in tractor life, if it has proper maintenance with the fluid changes, etc?

The only other disadvantage of the cab as mentioned by others, with be working under tree limbs, or storage, and other height problems? A problem of mounting a backhoe in the future should be considered too? Kubotas hold their resale value also, if you decide to sell it in the future?

I own all three major brands over 30 yrs., and the Kubotas have been trouble free. I still own the first Kubota too! Rodents have accessed the electrical systems of my NH/Fords and JD for lunch, damaging the wiring causing gauge failures, etc.

Buy the tractor of your choice that feels good, and handle best for your environment.

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #5  
I own the Montana with the cab, I found aged inventory. 4340C with full warranty, FEL, $21,500 delivered. A few issues, they have all been resolved.

IMO, the cab is a must have, when its 100 degrees I am cool and comfortable, when it gets cold, ya know in my area say 20 degrees, I am warm and comfortable. No matter what I am doing with a cab I am out of the so to speak danger zone, like spraying, no chemicals, cutting grass no dust the list goes on.

I would not be scared of the used Kubota, that is low hrs! As ststed ... it is a matter of your personal preference.

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab
Thanks guys.... I live in PA. Not much snow at all when compared to some of you although we do get a good one every couple of years. The cab would definitely be more beneficial for me in the summer.

I agree with a lot that is said. If the cab was easily removed/put-on then I wouldn't hesitate but I doubt that is the case even with some modification.

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab
sorry- one more thing...the Kubota is out of warranty.

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #8  
Well, I have a tractor with a cab and one without. I tend to get in the one with the cab if that helps answer your question. :)

No, it isn't easy at all to take off a cab. Also, many cabbed tractors are shorter than the ROPs versions so you may not have the issues you think.

If it were me, I'd go for the named brand, more HP, cab of the Kubota.

BTW, that's a great price for the Kubota. Is it from a dealer or individual?

Last edited:
   / part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #9  
Man on tractor with out cab can not out run yellowjackets. Man on tractor with cab can.

ron

/ part-time user: used w/Cab vs New w/no cab #10  
Pick the tractor that you think will serve your needs the best. I owned an open station CUT for 12 years and finally went to a cab tractor. I would never go back to an open station machine in any weather. As far as damaging the cab in the woods.............you just have to be somewhat more cautious where you go. I also would not worry about the Kubota being out of warranty. They are good dependable machines. If both tractors you are looking at will serve your needs then go with the cab, you will never be sorry.

Sincerely, Dirt