Power steering questions

/ Power steering questions #1  

Bob_Trevithick

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4300 MFWD
The other day I got myself stuck in mud with rocks, and a day or so later found a flat front tire. After pumping it up, it has stayed up just fine.. which leads me to suspect that I managed to break the bead on the tire, and then got lucky and resealed it.

Which leads to my question: it seems like the power steering on my JD4300 is immensely powerful. Enough so that if, for example, the front wheel was in a spot where it simply couldn't turn, and I turned the wheel, something would have to give.

Has anyone ever run into a problem such as that? Now, of course, I will be careful of such situations, but when in mud it isn't always possible to know what exactly is under and around one's tires.

Any thoughts appreciated!

/ Power steering questions #2  
Quite possible you'd damage your steering pump.

If you're in a situation your wheels can't turn (steer, that is), you might want to back out and try from another angle.

/ Power steering questions
<font color=blue>...If you're in a situation your wheels can't turn (steer, that is), you might want to back out and try from another angle. </font color=blue>

I guess the problem is that the steering is so easy that it isn't immediately obvious sometimes if the wheels can't steer. I will try to stay out of such situations, but my best guess is that's how I got my flat the other day.

The pump would probably go first, eh? There is no bypass valve for over-pressure? I'll have to look at the tech manual. But what I'd like is some been-there / done-thats to know if this is a real problem. I'm not sure why I lost my bead the other day.. just guessing. I was running the fronts at 12 PSI, and now run them at 16.

/ Power steering questions #4  
i think if u had your tire up against something that would stop it from moving your power steering would have no effect., it is like your car, if u have the tire up against the curb and try to turn it is not going to move, so i don't think that is what caused the flat.at least that is the way i see it.

/ Power steering questions #5  
Bob, it probably more a matter of tire inflation. I noticed that I had to run a higher tire pressure for loader work or I would just twist the tire off 2 or 3 times a day. I'm currently running 30lbs for the fronts and the problem seem to have stopped