Tractor
    JD 4300 MFWD

Default Power steering questions

The other day I got myself stuck in mud with rocks, and a day or so later found a flat front tire. After pumping it up, it has stayed up just fine.. which leads me to suspect that I managed to break the bead on the tire, and then got lucky and resealed it.

Which leads to my question: it seems like the power steering on my JD4300 is immensely powerful. Enough so that if, for example, the front wheel was in a spot where it simply couldn't turn, and I turned the wheel, something would have to give.

Has anyone ever run into a problem such as that? Now, of course, I will be careful of such situations, but when in mud it isn't always possible to know what exactly is under and around one's tires.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Power steering questions

Quite possible you'd damage your steering pump.

If you're in a situation your wheels can't turn (steer, that is), you might want to back out and try from another angle.

Tractor
    JD 4300 MFWD

<font color=blue>...If you're in a situation your wheels can't turn (steer, that is), you might want to back out and try from another angle. </font color=blue>

I guess the problem is that the steering is so easy that it isn't immediately obvious sometimes if the wheels can't steer. I will try to stay out of such situations, but my best guess is that's how I got my flat the other day.

The pump would probably go first, eh? There is no bypass valve for over-pressure? I'll have to look at the tech manual. But what I'd like is some been-there / done-thats to know if this is a real problem. I'm not sure why I lost my bead the other day.. just guessing. I was running the fronts at 12 PSI, and now run them at 16.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

i think if u had your tire up against something that would stop it from moving your power steering would have no effect., it is like your car, if u have the tire up against the curb and try to turn it is not going to move, so i don't think that is what caused the flat.at least that is the way i see it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota l3010hst/ford 601 workhorse

Bob, it probably more a matter of tire inflation. I noticed that I had to run a higher tire pressure for loader work or I would just twist the tire off 2 or 3 times a day. I'm currently running 30lbs for the fronts and the problem seem to have stopped