?chains?

/ ?chains? #11  
Hi,
This is my new username as a MEMBER! (was kass).It is amazing what is on the net if you look hard enough. I could have really used this site over last two years. I also appreciate the fact there is no flaming of other makes than your own. Thanks for all the info.
So I should assume that the only time I MIGHT need chains is in the winter, not in the dirt for plowing, etc...
Thanks,
Jason

/ ?chains? #12  
Welcome to the TBN! It is a place loaded with good folks and good advice!

First, your question about the windshield washer fluid in my tires. My dealer put it in when I bought my tractor. He buys the fluid in 55 gal drums, and has a small pump that he uses to pump it into the tractor tires. Boondox mentioned a special kind of adapter used on the tire stem. I've never actually seen it done, so I don't know if my dealer used one of those. He uses windshield washer fluid because it is not corrosive like Calcium Chloride.

Concerning chains - I don't know that answer to your question, but I do have a little advice. There is such a thing as having too much traction. A little slipping of your tires is not necessarily a bad thing. Your a lot less apt to break things if (when) you hit that immovable object.... I use chains only in the winter for plowing snow, and remove them in the spring. I also don't do any field plowing, so don't have any experience with that... I'd try it without chains first.

Corm

/ ?chains? #13  
As Corm said you CAN have too much traction. (Worse case scenario is having enough torque to break the tire bead free - ie rim turns - tire remains stationary) I have gone through a winter without chains (L2500DT 4x 4 with R1's) and could get by pretty well. Didn't NEED chains but bought them and it makes plowing in heavy deep wet snow much easier. I can push snow that I wouldn't able to without the chains. Cheap enough for the enhanced performance you get. I don't use them in summer as I found traction with R1's fine for any ground engaging work I've done and I don't have loaded tires.

/ ?chains? #14  
OK gentlemen...for those that use chains in snow...here's another question. What type of chains are best in snow, wet or dry.....in other words, that which will give the best traction? Would they be the duo-grip, duo-grip w/ v-bar, ladder, or double-ring chains?

/ ?chains? #15  
That's a tough one! The v-bar is really nice if you tend to have ice where you live; they dig in and hang on pretty well. The double-ring are really nice in slush and mud...but are probably the roughest riding chain out there. Also, what type of tread are you running? With ags, you'd lose a lot of the benefit of v-bar chains and the 4-space ladders would tend to get lost between the lugs.

Pete

/ ?chains? #16  
Pete,

<font color=blue>Also, what type of tread are you running?...the 4-space ladders would tend to get lost between the lugs.</font color=blue>

I'll be getting the optional R-1 Ags with my new 4710. I'll be running the tractor through some mud, soft and swampy ground conditions, and in the winter snow...combination of wet and dry. I thought about the regular duo-grip with or without the v-bar since this would eliminate the problem with the ladders getting bunched up within the lugs as you correctly note....but, are they just as or more durable than the double ring chains? Point here being I want chains with links that won't break on me when working them hard in the aforementioned ground conditions. Are the duo-grip just as durable as the double ring chains?

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ ?chains? #17  
I've never heard of a chain breaking. Around here in mucky conditions the Double-Ring on ag tires are favored. I run Norse ice chains on my L3010 -- the kind with the inch long spikes -- that give me great traction in all conditions, but I have to deal with more ice than most folks.

Pete

/ ?chains? #18  
<font color=blue>I've never heard of a chain breaking.</font color=blue>

Thanks Pete. I guess I'm still somewhat ignorant of these things but I remember when I was a kid 40 something years ago, and visiting my grandparent's farm. They had an old Case they were running in the winter to the back woodlot for firewood. I remember seeing some of these links 'flapping' around because a link broke here and there. How it happened, I don't know. Maybe, they're making better chains today.

<font color=blue>I run Norse ice chains on my L3010 -- the kind with the inch long spikes</font color=blue>

Have these done any damage to your tires?

Bob

/ ?chains? #19  
<font color=blue>Have these done any damage to your tires?</font color=blue>

None at all. The spikes face outward and are rigged in such a way that they can't twist inwards. They sure tear up whatever I drive over, though! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Pete

/ ?chains? #20  
Greetings...

My parents have used an old Farmall Cub for years to plow-2wd, chains (double-ring type) on rear tires only (Ag). It works well enough, but you do have to take a little snow at a time, and sometimes use the brakes to turn /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. FWIW the driveway is 250' or so long and up a hill.

Cheer,
Couchsachraga