?chains?

/ ?chains? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone lives where snow is a big factor in winter. I have a Ford 8n now and just ordered a JM354. My Ford needs chains for everything(FEL) and in snow for plowing driveway (1000')- still no traction. That is why I need the 4WD. Does anyone use chains or is 4WD enough? Also, any fluid in tires with FEL?
Thanks,
Northern MN
Jason

/ ?chains? #2  
I use chains on my 4X4 tractor in the winter for plowing snow. I use a dozer style blade. When I angle the blade to throw snow to the side my tractor gets pushed sideways in the other direction. I now use chains on the front and back. Not only do I have more traction for pushing, I keep on track and move the direction that I choose. (I do keep my speed down for safety reasons)
Jerry

/ ?chains? #3  
I don't live where there is alot of snow, but have been doing 1,000' driveway on a hill along with the roads in a development for several years. If there are any hills, you will need chains probably all around with 4WD. I never tried just front or rear, but I do know that you can easily slide down a hill with chains all around in 2WD. (not a good feeling). I use a 7' rear blade with loaded tires. I also have an FEL to use if needed. Good Luck

/ ?chains? #4  
I use chains on the front wheels of my Cub 7260. They are just old dump truck chains I made up to fit my tires. It has R4 tires, and all 4 are loaded with windshield washer fluid. I plow snow with a 3pt mounted 7' blade. Until I put the chains on the front tires, I had a hard time steering my tractor when I had the blade angled off to one side. Now that isn't a problem any longer. Having chains on the front tires also made a significant difference in traction. I have chains for the rear tires put haven't ever had a need to use them.

Corm

/ ?chains?
I have never heard of windshield washer fluid for tires. How do you get it in and how does it work?
Jason

/ ?chains? #6  
I have an 8N with FEL that I moved a lot of stuff with, without chains, I did use chains in the winter to deal with ice when plowing snow. I did have about 400 pounds on the 3PH for weight and the rear tires are loaded.

I purchased a Kubota L3000DT last July and I use a rear blade to plow snow with it. 4WD without chains has provided all the traction I have needed this far. I know there are others out there who plow some pretty steep drives and they use chains.

Weight on the rear tires is necessary. If you have a FEL you can't do much without having the rear tires loaded.

Randy

/ ?chains? #7  
I live in northern Vermont with a ski resort for a neighbor, so I see a bit of snow on two driveways and 1/4 mile of road. My L3010 with loaded tires and plenty of weight fore and aft gets okay traction on level ground till the ground freezes, but slides on the hill. So I use Norse-style ice chains with inch long spikes (rear only) and have no trouble plowing. When the snow is really wet and heavy I'll fill the FEL with dirt or anything not completely frozen to the ground (log, wife, etc) to keep the front end from dancing around. Works well.

I use windshield washer fluid in my tires. If you put CaCl valve stems on your rims, it's pretty simple to load the tires yourself. They might be called something different where you live, but basically the valve stem itself screws into an adapter on the rim. Unscrewing it leaves an open the size of a dime.

Pete

/ ?chains? #8  
We run a Jinma 284 with a 6 foot blower up here in central ontario and we found with the 4x4 we were good to go with just the wheel weights.Might be different with a plow.

/ ?chains? #9  
Kass, my driveway starts about 300 ft ends 350ft (750ft length) above lake level here on the Bayfield Pennisula. Even with this seasons below average snowfall I've run out of areas to push/pile snow. With my NH TC25D, no wheel weights any snow over 6" is pushing/plowing with a 3pt blade downhill only. The R4 (ag bar tires) just don't have the traction to get up the steeper pitches of the driveway. That's in 4wd. Locking the dif up just results in 3 wheels spinning. Pushing heavy deep snow downhill with the FEL has resulted in spinning the wheels, pushing the unit a little sideways. Chains would be nice. Check out tirechains.com. Next seasons a 3pt snowblower & maybe chains.

/ ?chains? #10  
KASS: my old ford 2n needed chains also, think it was more the fact of the way the old fel"s stuck out front so much, it shifted the wight to the front and off loaded the rear tires,even with chains and no weight on the 3 pt(tires were filled) it still had problems. now my b2400 with no chains and just a rear blade for weight does the job just fine, of course i am on faily level ground.i move A LOT OF SNOW, and never had a problem without chains. but you like otheres may need them. try it before u buy them.