Block Heater Install questions

/ Block Heater Install questions #11  
Mathew, IF you happen to run into any trouble getting out the plug. I DID!
I first used a 1/2 inch breaker bar to try and remove the plug. NOT!
Then I tried an 1/2 inch electric impact gun. NOT! Then I went back to the 1/2 inch breaker bar and added a 7 foot cheater pipe. NOT! I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get the thing out. Then I tried a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 1/2 inch reducer plus the cheater bar. NOT! I couldn't beleave that plug still won't come out. Lastly I used the 3/4 drive breaker bar, cheater pipe and heated the block around the plug with a torch. Finally............success! (lots of cussing on this one)
I didn't drain the anit-freeze and if you are quick you don't loose much. I would suggest removing your loader as this gives you more room and you can get closer to the engine. As far as the hose you are refering to you can loosen the clamp and slide it out of the way without removing it. I did not use any teflon tape or thread sealer on the heater as the original plug did not have anything on it. Although tape or thread compound may have made it a lot easier to get out. Good luck with your install.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Block Heater Install questions
Right, well JT you are right. I also was finally able to find that hose on the Catalog Parts website. It a manifold on the Transmission Oil Suction line. So I was wrong before, it does indeed carry a liquid.
I haven't got much in the way of mechanics tools, just bought a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for my socket set the other day, so I'm going to wait until I see my neighbor tomorrow night and ask him for some help. He just rebuilt a Chevelle so I think he'll have the tools and know how, plus a heated garage.
Dirt, I'm a bit nervous about removing the loader. I will do it, I'm just a little worried because I haven't yet got a smooth flat area to leave it on. I'll just pick the best area I can find and hope it goes back on easily.
The new battery did get the engine started yesterday, of course the temp was pretty warm then, 4F.THey are saying 10F today.
I'll post back when it is finally installed. Thanks for everyone's help.

/ Block Heater Install questions #13  
On my JD4300HST that is the line that brings the HST oil from the sump in the rear dif up to the HST pump. My dealer had installed the optional oil heater where the line leaves the dif. Right on the bottom, exposed to all branches and rocks, with a 6" power line hanging off of it. The power cord lasted about a week, the heater until the first oil change.
Find a rad hose heater and put it in the lower rad hose, so the heat will perculate up to where you want it, and/or a magnetic heater that you can stick on the oil pan. Then run both cords(with short extensions if needed) up to where you can reach them and plug them in while wearing mitts, in the dark....

/ Block Heater Install questions #14  
Matthew_H said:
...The new battery did get the engine started yesterday, of course the temp was pretty warm then, 4F.THey are saying 10F today.
I'll post back when it is finally installed. Thanks for everyone's help.

At those temps you'll be so glad you have a block heater. My tractor starts better in the winter than it did in the summer now that I have a block heater.

/ Block Heater Install questions #15  
Builder,

Thank you for the comment. That is my little boy who gets to try all kind of silly stuff because it entertains my wife and me.

Matt - That heated garage sounds great!!! Make sure you are always nice to your neighbor so he lets you use it. When I installed the heater it was a mild day in the mid 30's and somehow the scraped knuckles aren't just a scratch when they are cold.

/ Block Heater Install questions #16  
Mathew...
It appears as though we're in almost the same boat. I am new to this site and tractors and have recently bought a 3203(3 months ago). I was just staring down my unit the other day and looking at the same setup. I figured the molded plastic part you are describing was a hydraulic return line(due to the size and the fact it is only clamped on. ie. no pressure) If you look close, it appears as though there are two pumps driven off the flywheel and they are mounted opposite to each other. I guess the left being smaller in displacement(.9cc if I remember right vs. 1.1cc for the right)would be for the steering and implements(??) and the right for the tranny(??)
I keep mine in a heated garage so a block heater isn't in my future. None the less, let us know how it goes and how much difference it makes.
Best of luck and regards....hydrovane218

/ Block Heater Install questions #17  
Yes, I'm sure Mathew will find that the block heater will make a World of difference when starting in colder temps. I know on my 3520 it will fast idle for several minutes longer if the block heater has not been plugged in. Leaving it plugged if we are expecting colder weather cuts the fast idle time way down or to almost none. I would also suspect that I can get heat in the cab quicker too.

Sincerely, Dirt