Block Heater Install questions

/ Block Heater Install questions #1  

Matthew_H

Tractor
JD 3203
Yes, another block heater question. But with a couple specific questions.
First, what is this hose in the '3203 hose' picture? The one with the two spring hose clamps holding it on? It appears to be easily removable, but I would like to know what is inside before I just have at it. The removable section links two hard pipes, one comes from the front of the engine area and the other runs to the rear axle area. I'm pretty sure it is not a liquid in there, but I would like to be very sure.
The second question; do I need to drain the coolant from the block and radiator before removing the plug in the block? The plug can be seen in the '3203 plug' picture. How much coolant would I lose if I didn't and how much mess would it make?
I plan on doing this tonight because it is going to be below 0F and that just seems to be the way I do things. Garage door openers for instance, I've installed 6 of them so far and I think it hasn't been warmer than 35F for any of them. This heater install will be performed outside in the driveway, by the way, can't get the ROPS in the garage.
Thanks for your help.
Matt

Attachments

• 3203 hose.jpg
    3203 hose.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 781
  • 3203 plug.jpg
    3203 plug.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 617
   / Block Heater Install questions #2  
I don't know for sure, but it sure looks like some sort of radiator hose. In which case when you pull it you will likely dump at least 1/2 of your radiator coolant. That is my best guess without more info.
No idea on the plug. sorry.

/ Block Heater Install questions #3  
Matt,

I hope you drained the coolant before doing the heater install. I'm sure you are aware that the active ingredient in coolant/antifreeze is highly poisonous. It apparently tastes sweet and animals and sometimes children do die from drinking it. So don't just drain it out into your driveway.

/ Block Heater Install questions #4  
I put in a block heater 3 times. I learn a lot from doing things. I learn a lot more from doing things wrong.

This thread has some of the details: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...k-heater-question.html?highlight=block+heater

I'm probably too late to help you out but just in case, here are two things that I learned...

1) Drain the coolant. You'll end up draining it all anyway. You might as well do it in a controlled manner.

2) Clean the hole out really good before you go putting the heater in. A little emery paper may even be in order. If that hole is good and smooth, you'll have no problem getting a good seal.

/ Block Heater Install questions
Right, well, I forgot that I have tomorrow off, so I'll probably do the install during the daytime tomorrow.
Concerning draining the coolant, what I guess I really meant was how much would come out off the hole. Just a little bit that I could collect in a small container, discard and replace with new, or would most of it come out of that hole. Thereby requiring a more significant means of controlling and collecting the coolant. I do know where the coolant petcocks are on the radiator and block, I'll drain both before backing the plug out.
As for the plug hole, the JD plug and heater are threaded. You may notice in the picture showing the plug it accepts a 1/2" drive. I did get a service guy at my dealer to tell me that they just use Teflon tape on the threads for a seal.
I'll find out for sure tomorrow, but I don't think that hose carries a liquid. It is only secured onto the hard pipe sections with spring clamps, they don't look liquid tight to me, but if I knew exactly what I was doing I wouldn't be asking questions...
Metal constricts when it gets cold doesn't it? So at sub zero temps that plug shouldn't be to difficult to remove, right?

Later

/ Block Heater Install questions #6  
When I installed my block heater a few weeks ago I was hoping I would not have to drain the coolant, but everyone here advised to do so. I can't speak for specifics on your tractor but I drained out close to a gallon from my small Kubota. The treaded plug was in pretty tight on my tractor and it took a cheater bar to get it loose. I also used teflon tape to seal the threads on the heater and it seems to be working just fine. Good luck.

/ Block Heater Install questions #7  
Matthew_H said:
Right, well, I forgot that I have tomorrow off, so I'll probably do the install during the daytime tomorrow.
Concerning draining the coolant, what I guess I really meant was how much would come out off the hole. Just a little bit that I could collect in a small container, discard and replace with new, or would most of it come out of that hole. Thereby requiring a more significant means of controlling and collecting the coolant. I do know where the coolant petcocks are on the radiator and block, I'll drain both before backing the plug out.
As for the plug hole, the JD plug and heater are threaded. You may notice in the picture showing the plug it accepts a 1/2" drive. I did get a service guy at my dealer to tell me that they just use Teflon tape on the threads for a seal.
I'll find out for sure tomorrow, but I don't think that hose carries a liquid. It is only secured onto the hard pipe sections with spring clamps, they don't look liquid tight to me, but if I knew exactly what I was doing I wouldn't be asking questions...
Metal constricts when it gets cold doesn't it? So at sub zero temps that plug shouldn't be to difficult to remove, right?

Later

Threaded? Neat concept. In a coolant system it probably won't matter as much, but it's still a good idea to leave the very end thread without any teflon tape on it. The point there is to prevent any of the tape from breaking off inside the system and plugging things up.

It seemed to me when I did my block heater that the position of the frost plug was such that most of the fuild would have to be drained. I'd plan on catching all of it.

/ Block Heater Install questions #9  
I know this is probably too little, too late, but that hose looks kinda like an air intake hose, is there a filter at the other end? Let us know how the project came out.:D

/ Block Heater Install questions #10  
Matthew_H said:
Yes, another block heater question. But with a couple specific questions.
First, what is this hose in the '3203 hose' picture? The one with the two spring hose clamps holding it on?

Hey Matthew, I looked up your machine in JD parts. After looking at the parts photo/schematic, I see it's listed as being a transmission/service line. I'm guessing it's a return line because of the size of the line and the lack of pressure fittings!! Hope this helps!!

JT