How heavy is too heavy to mow?

/ How heavy is too heavy to mow? #31  
I am just jumping into this post at the end. I think he should buy both tractors and a backhoe to be on the safe side :)

/ How heavy is too heavy to mow? #32  
gemini5362 said:
I am just jumping into this post at the end. I think he should buy both tractors and a backhoe to be on the safe side :)

At the end? Not bloody likely!

A large deck zero turn mower would make a good addition to a fleet of 3-4 (or more) tractors each outfitted at both ends and maybe in the middle with different implements so he never has to change implements, just tractors. Oh, and a few Cats in various sizes up to about a D-8 at least.

Pat

/ How heavy is too heavy to mow? #33  
75H2 said:
Just about ready to pull the trigger on my first tractor:) . ( I feel like a little kid the night before Christmas) Looking at a low 20ish HP SCUT. Just to be safe I thought I give one last look at mid to 20 HP CUTS which are a frame size larger. I have a 3.5 acre yard to look after. The next year or more will involve alot of dirt moving as we are building a new home and moving. The yard has a fair slope and a "step" half way through.

Here is where I'm at. I like the idea of a larger tractor to get the work done easier. But, once done my tasks are limited to mostly mowing and a 300 foot drive to maintain.

I'm concerned about how much weight is too much in a mowing capacity. I currently have septic & don't want to crush the drainfield or end up in the bottom of the tank. I'm all confused, "she who must be obeyed" has given the green light for the larger (more $$) of the two tractors. With mower & loaded tires probably looking at 2600 lbs. or more.

If you were me would you go for the lighter SCUT or the mid sized CUT
One of each would be nice.
Once yer done with the bigger projects you will have more tractor than needed if you go with a Cut.
I was faced with the same choice between a Kubota B 2410 and a Kubota BX 23 back in 2004.
The BX23 was the best choice for me.
I did hire a guy with a kubota L series to dig a couple of long ditches in a swampy area that had weeds in it about 3 feet high.
I didn't want to get my new tractor all skuffed up and muddy.
About a year later I hired a guy with a small dozer to grub out some trees and level out an area about 50 by 75 feet.
To me it made more sense to buy the tractor that met my long term goals rather than a tractor that only met my short term 1 time needs .

/ How heavy is too heavy to mow? #34  
patrick_g said:
At the end? Not bloody likely!

a fleet of 3-4 (or more) tractors each outfitted at both ends and maybe in the middle with different implements so he never has to change implements, just tractors.

Pat
I have 3 tractors set up similar to this.:cool:

/ How heavy is too heavy to mow? #35  
for 3.5 acres If I was going to just get one tractor I would have to get something in the 15 horse range with a front end loader and a belly mower. Or a finishing mower. I am convinced that it is impossible to live without a front end loader. The small tractor will work great on mowing the lawn and you cannot start to imagine the uses for a front end loader until you have one. I used mine tonight to unload groceries from the back of the truck.

/ How heavy is too heavy to mow? #36  
LBrown59 said:
One of each would be nice.
Once yer done with the bigger projects you will have more tractor than needed if you go with a Cut.
I was faced with the same choice between a Kubota B 2410 and a Kubota BX 23 back in 2004.
The BX23 was the best choice for me.
I did hire a guy with a kubota L series to dig a couple of long ditches in a swampy area that had weeds in it about 3 feet high.
I didn't want to get my new tractor all skuffed up and muddy.
About a year later I hired a guy with a small dozer to grub out some trees and level out an area about 50 by 75 feet.
To me it made more sense to buy the tractor that met my long term goals rather than a tractor that only met my short term 1 time needs .

What he said. I was faced with that decision. Went with the BX23 as the most weight on the yard for mowing. I got the FEL etc. and was amazed at how much big tractor work the thing will do. It's great in the yard and with 4x4 it does other jobs well also. It takes more time but, for me, working in the dirt is "me" time. The large jobs are few but the grass is constant.