working for friends

/ working for friends #1  

hernando

Silver Member
Tractor
dk 4510 kioti and a 450 case track loader
i do custom commerical tractor work .. does anyone else do this and if so how do you charge your friends ?? i have done alot of work the last 2 yrs for some friends...they paid me what they thought it was worth ,,,hahaha,,but i let it slide ,,which i should never should have done the last few weeks i put in over 40hrs at there house tore down a old house burned it then covered it with top soil,,,the first day i had 3 flats,,,, when i was finished they ask how much it cost for fuel and to fix the flats...i told them 137.00 they gave me a check for 150.00....they said i know it is worth a little more than that but we will give you more latter...when they offered more money i gave them a bill for the full price i would charge anyone i subtracted the 150.00 and then cut that in half ,,i thought that was fair,,,now it really made them mad,,,,how would you deal with this ?? thanks for leting me ramble on,,,,,bruce

/ working for friends #2  
Bruce, I will not work for friends,relatives or neighbors. that is the best way I know to lose good friends that I know of
Jim
:)

/ working for friends #3  
Bruce
While I don't work for others, I do have friends who work for me from time to time. Give anyone you plan to work for a total cost estimate, or $/hr figure up front and stick to that price. That way everyone knows the approximate cost.

/ working for friends #4  
We work for freinds all the time, and we handle them all a bit different.

Couple of real close freinds, I ask what they want, I go do it. I do not want ANY money from them. It always comes back around too me later.

Folks that are good aquaintances more then close (and I do mean close) freinds, I just make sure a price is set up front, before anything starts. Either, by the hour or by the job. If by the job and I seriously underbid, I eat it, seriously overbid, I reduce my charge, makes them stay freinds.

Folks that want to "pay me a little" etc. I would rather that they just do not pay me. It often leads to hard feelings on both sides.

That said, every now and then I get caught short, but overall, I have been real lucky, and the work my freinds have done for me in return, has been priceless.

/ working for friends #5  
Bruce, it seems to me you always feel you end up on the short end of the stick when you do work at a reduced rate. For all your troubles initially you made $13.00. I would leave my tractor sit before I went through all that work and plus the tires that went flat. Seems like your so called friends want you to work for almost nothing. Just ask yourself how many times have these friends helped you out on a project of your own,that will give you the answer to the ones you help. In years past I was always more than happy to jump in and give someone a hand with whatever project they had and either ask for nothing or very little. Also over the years I have had many,many projects on the 68 acres that I owned. I can only name a couple of people that ever offered to help me. So now I give everyone the help they gave me. Which is none. Let them struggle through it themselves. The only people I help now are some elderly neighbors that can't do it on their own. I never ask for anything except a "thanks". The sad part is some people won't even take a couple of minuites to phone and tell you thanks. Needless to say I never go back.

Sincerely,Dirt

/ working for friends #6  
I am a remodeling contractor, built a wall for my sister a few years ago with the understanding that her landscaper husband woud reciprocate. Never happened. Now they want to hire me to do more work, "for money" to pay me back.... at the reduced "family" rate, of course :rolleyes: . Funny thing, I've just been too busy to fit them into my schedule. Puts a funny taste in your mouth....

/ working for friends #7  
This is how I handle working for people that I know. I tell them that I have two prices. The normal price that costs you a lot of money, I make money and you have all rights that go along with that, whining, complaining, warranty, etc. Or the price of you get it at my net cost, now you have given up all rights, you get it when you get it and what ever shape it is in, no whining, no complaining, no warranty, it is what it is. This is what has worked for me, most but not all people pay the money, they want to be able to complain I guess.

/ working for friends #9  
MrJimi said:
Bruce, I will not work for friends,relatives or neighbors. that is the best way I know to lose good friends that I know of
Jim
:)

+1

I have seen many good friendships go south once business got in the way.

/ working for friends #10  
This is a can of worms, for friends you need to decide how good of friends they are. Is it someone you see once a year when they need you, or do you get together with them a regular basis. When i first started out i was told not to work for free.
I think a fair price is half what you would normally charge, and say it up front. Having said that i have bartered with people including a lawyer.
I am big on thank you's if i do a job for free and i get no thanks or something stupid like is that all you can do? then for me that only takes one time.
At the very least your tractor is worth something, that is why i figure half, you don't have to pay for my but you do have to pay for my tractor. If you are working for free you can't make anymoney on other jobs.
That house you tore down, that job should be anywhere from $5000 to $20000.

Another idea is get the "friends" to get quotes from other companies, and then you can discount from there. 2 things will probably happen 1 they will not have alot of people show up, and or 2 they will be blowen away by the price. MOST people truly have no idea how much construction costs are. I gave a quote on a stump last year [not a friend] the price was $140 the women almost passed out, i don't ever say what things cost to my clients but i told her, i said they will be $60,000 worth of equipment, not including gas and insurance sitting in her driveway. So i said HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE YOU. needless to say i didn't get the job.
I think i have said enough for now.:rolleyes:

Shane