Your Loader Lift Capacity....More?

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
One of my main concerns when looking at tractors with loaders is the loader lift capacity to full height. I see that most compacts have on average 1000# to 2000# lift capacity. I ask myself is 2000# enough. Oh, and I am aware that these machines are not full size pieces of equipment.

What is your loader lift capacity?
What do you do with your loader and is the lift capacity enough?

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #2  
Mine is about 800 pounds. The tractor only weighs 1500 with me on it. That is plenty. I use the loader mostly for landscaping around the home, moving dirt and mulch. I also use it to maintain small ball diamonds at little leagues and our church/school.
PT425AndMe.jpg

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #3  
On my current machine, a Ford 1520, I believe its lift rating is 800-1000lbs. Definitly not enough, though I've been able to dig, lift, and move a lot with it as is. I guess the most interesting item I've lifted was a 10" South Bend tool room lathe. Had to break it down into sections to lift it to drop down into my basement through the Bilco doors. When installing my deck, I lifted the pergola header into place with the loader, couldn't have done it otherwise as I was by myself. The loader is so usefull as we all know, but greater capacity is better, and not only the load rating, but also the reach. This is part of reason why I'm selling my Ford, and have purchased (on order) a NH TN-70, of which the loader is rated at 3500lbs. I'm looking forward to trying that out sometime. My tool philsophy is I like to have a little more than I think I need, so when the time comes to excede it, the rating is there. That way I'm never "outgunned".

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #4  
I have both. My observations are the utility class tractor weighs 10K lbs and the loader lifts #3500 and breakout #5500. Smaller 33hp skidsteer lifts 1200 (tipping 2400) and breaks out 1800. Digging out rocks, machinery or stumps I really miss the tractor breakout power. The SS gets the job done by picking and digging awhile. 15 min tractor task takes 1 hr with the smaller capability.

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #6  
my loader is rated around 1600 pounds lift and over 2000 breakout.
I've shifted some impressive piles of limestone to get to the one 1200# rock I wanted while building my retaining walls. (piece of rock about 8" thick and roughly the size & shape of a baby grand)
I also used it to install the french doors on my main floor - using the pallet forks - that was 200# of 6' wide door and 2 construction workers 9' or so in the air plus the 8' wide 5' tall rack I built on to the forks so they had something to stand on and lean back against while lifting.

what exactly are you planning on doing?

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #7  
My lift capacity to a full height of 88" is 1074lbs at the pins and 1,511 lbs of breakout force. I have found that if I can fit it in the 54" bucket, it can lift it. That alone is more than enough for me, I figure if I am trying to lift anything bigger it would probably be too unsafe. Then again, the 1000 lb propane tank I lifted and carried to it's remote spot for installation would definitly not fit in the bucket. :D

I also found that without the backhoe attached for ballast, my loader capacity is greatly reduced as it starts to lift the back wheels off the ground. :eek:

If you need that much lift capacity in a small package, a skid steel might suit you better.

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #8  
My LA(?)114 on the DX29 is supposed to lift 1200. With my 200 on the seat, another 260 on the rear wheels, and 900 on the hitch, it will exert just enough force to bring the rear wheels up when working with a big piece of granite.

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #9  
This is one of my soapbox issues and mostly is a concern with aftermarket FEL loaders. IMO it's more important to be mindful of what your frontend capacty is rated for. You may be surprised how little your bucket can handle before overloading the front end. As part of this you also need to be aware of the loader's bucket position in relation to the wheelbase of the tractor. With my setup for every lb in the bucket, the frontend see 2 lbs additional load due to weight transfer. My stk front tires have a rated capacity for the pair of a little less than 2000#. Subtract the weight of the tractor and loader and there is very few lbs of load one can pick up without exceeding the front end capacity of your tractor.

My loader is rated for a little over 2k# but the tires would be blown long before that and no telling what other damage to the front end would result.

/ Your Loader Lift Capacity....More? #10  
My loader will lift 2 half-grown reindeer to full height, no problem.

DSCN0382.jpg

:)

1865 lbs at pins, 102.2".