Engine wear hydro vs gear

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
Just got to thinking while dragging some logs out from the back acerage. I am curious how the engine wear characteristics differ in two identical tractors, one with a hydro and the other a gear unit? My unit being a gear model I use the foot throttle most often varying my speed while skidding logs, raking drive, and most other tasks where the PTO is not required. Using tiller or mowing I use the hand throttle and maintain a constant RPM. I assume with a hydro your engine is running at a constant RPM and your manipulating your speed with the hydro pedal. Just wondering how the two different tranny's affect engine longevity? I know, way too much time on my hands to be thinking such thoughts.;)

John

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #2  
It seems to me that the hyro transmission is easier on the engine because there is no solid mechanical connection. I believe the hydro acts as a buffer to sudden shocks that come through a solid connection.

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #3  
I think craftbender would be right on the HST providing much less shock load to the engine. But I also think most tractors with HST and a diesel engine (=nearly all are CUTs below 50hp and not used for heavy tillage) will see many other parts wear out before the engine wear is a big issue.

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #4  
Just a few years back I'd tell anyone buying a lawn mower that I'd see them sooner with a gear drive then with a hydro. Not for the engine but a clutch. I've not seen any thing on these tractors that seems to make a difference on the engine as to life. Low grade oil and filters, lack of normal maintence will bring a premature engine failure of either top or bottom end.

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #5  
If you are fiend for keeping the AIR filter clean, a diesel will last and last and last and last. Air filters are much more important than oil filters.

As to the original Q, I can't say as I have ever seen much difference. Nor looked for that matter. It's probably about the same order of magnitude as the engine wear difference on indentical tractors, one with turf tires and one with Ag tires.

jb

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #6  
If you are basing engine wear on the engine maintaning a constant rpm under pto load, then I have to say the gear tractor will be the winner. On second thought the gear tractor will maintain a more constant rpm under most conditions.

I also think that its something you shouldn't even be concerned about.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #7  
My guess would be a hydo requires more hp than a gear unit through parasitic loss. So the engine will 努ork harder with a hydro unit to complete the same task. A gear unit will not be able operate in the engineç—´ 都weet spot all the time because of limited gear selection and the need to vary speed for conditions. I would think engine wear differences would be of little concern either way. Most equipment is worn out before a well maintained diesel engine goes completely south. Now fuel use may be better with a gear unit but I wouldn稚 trade the ç*¥tility of a hydro in a small utility tractor for the difference, unless it was only used for constant speed/power tasks.

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #8  
bx23barry said:
My guess would be a hydo requires more hp than a gear unit through parasitic loss. So the engine will 努ork harder with a hydro unit to complete the same task. A gear unit will not be able operate in the engine痴 都weet spot all the time because of limited gear selection and the need to vary speed for conditions. I would think engine wear differences would be of little concern either way. Most equipment is worn out before a well maintained diesel engine goes completely south. Now fuel use may be better with a gear unit but I wouldn稚 trade the *tility of a hydro in a small utility tractor for the difference, unless it was only used for constant speed/power tasks.

Barry, did you have the hick-ups while you were typing? :)

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #9  
shane said:
Barry, did you have the hick-ups while you were typing? :)
No this is copied material from another site...quotes and possessives don't translate well...:rolleyes:

/ Engine wear hydro vs gear #10  
Really? what other site?

jb