Digging with FEL?

/ Digging with FEL? #1  

arrowem

Hi,
I will be getting a new 4x4 with fel but now have 8n with fel and am wondering about the capabilities of the new stuff. My question is: I am clearing a new yard area (about 1.5 ac) and most of it is pretty clean but there are a few Tag Alder tree stumps (anyone know what those are.....%$&*%$ blasted weed trees) anywhere from 3" to 10". These are not regular stumps like oak or maple..etc... the're more like a big brush tree. I was going to rent a dozer to get them out (maybe a dozen sporadicly placed) and then use the new tractor to plow,disk,level, seed, pack, and pray for rain. BUT!!! if I could use the FEL to get the buggers out then I would not have to rent the dozer, hence saving money and use that as a selling point for getting the 4x4 with FEL(ordered but haven't broken it to The Queen yet :0
Thanks,
Jason

/ Digging with FEL? #2  
You can dig with the standard FEL bucket, but if you really want to dig get a tooth bar (about $300) for the edge of the bucket. Do a search on 'tooth bar' and you will see a whole lot of posts.

/ Digging with FEL? #3  
I too have an 8N with a FEL, it has the narrow bucket and no down pressure. However I did a lot of digging with it. Now to round out the fleet I have a Kubota L3000DT with FEL.

There is a tremendous difference it the ability of this machine to dig over the 8N simply because of the ability to curl the bucket and apply some downward pressure.

I do not have a toothbar, yet, I can see how much of a difference one would make when it comes to loosening up hard ground and small roots.

What size tractor are you looking to purchase? I tried to purchase something equal to the 8N when I was looking at tractrors. There is nothing in the compact line that matches the width of the N-series or the stability on a side hill. Horsepower and weight can be close or more than the 8N.

I really like my Kubota it goes places I only dreamed of before, and I can do much more with it than I could with my 8N. But there is a big difference in feel from one to the other. You will love 4WD.

Randy

/ Digging with FEL? #4  
<font color=blue>"These are not regular stumps like oak or maple..etc... the're more like a big brush tree.</font color=blue>

Jason,

There's a great thread in the Projects section titled "Unbelievable" that shows how to remove stumps with forks. A lot of good pics too!

/ Digging with FEL? #5  
I took care of a 7" diameter sumac with my TC35. I used the tooth bar to undermine and break some roots. Then I raised the bucket about 7' in the air and starting pushing. The tree went over no problem. My wife was convinced that we would need to get a dozer to push it down but I proved her wrong.

Can't hurt to try your new baby... what did you get?

Peter

/ Digging with FEL? #6  
<font color=blue>"Can't hurt to try your new baby... what did you get?"</font color=blue>

Peter,

I didn't get anything yet /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif! I think you want to ask Arrowmen (Jason) that question. He was the one that started this thread. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Digging with FEL? #7  
My TC45 with FEL does a WHOLE lot more than my 8N with FEL ever could. I have a toothbar that really helps with the digging and I take out cedar stumps every time I'm in the seat.
mike

/ Digging with FEL?
I ordered a JM345-35hp with fel.

/ Digging with FEL? #9  
I would further add get the heavy duty toothbar with the bigger, thicker shanks. These will do some damage to these stumps provided they're not deep rooted.

/ Digging with FEL? #10  
I've only got a lowly B7500, but I've removed many "brushy" kinds of stuff (bacharus if you know western plants) with the FEL. Once it gets above a certain size, I wrap a chain around it, tie the chain to the boxblade, then lift & separate it from the ground. I then drag it off for a different kind of ceremony.