Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm

/ Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm #1  

cjlink

As a regular member of the TBN forums, I wanted to post my review of the following book. This is my review and opinions, so everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions.

'How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm'

This book has potential...

However in its current state, I am disappointed in my purchase of this book. From the description of this book, it states that this book is a 'How to' that provides detailed information. In fairness, the book does cover a lot of implements. Unfortunately, at times the author only provides a very brief overview of the implement. You will need another source of information (owner's manual) to be able to actually use the implement. Warning, be sure that you understand all of the safety risks associated with the particular implement that you are working with. In a mili-second your life and well being could be jeopardized.

A few suggestions to the author on how this book could be made better:
1. Top priority - include the necessary safety points and cautions for each of the implements or group of implements. The 2 page safety introduction is in need of much expanding. Within those pages, the author even fails to mention the need for a ROPS along with the need to always wear a seat belt. Readers, thousands of people are killed each year because their tractors didn't have a ROPS and/or no seat belt was being used.

2. For each implement or group of implements - please provide detail part drawing(s) of the implements. A picture alone doesn't give the reader any ideal of how the implement would function. Drawings of moving parts, bearings, etc would really give the reader the proper information. Along with the drawings, the author could indicate the maintenance items of the implement.

3. Show, by either using a picture or drawing, how to attach the implement to the tractor. The 3 point attachment system has been the standard since the late 50's on tractors. Please give the reader a clue of how the implement should be attached to a typical 3 point system.

4. Once the implement is attached, then explain how it should be used. Once again, a drawing could go a long ways toward explaining this to the reader. For example, the author provides a one paragraph overview of a moldboard plow. Questions that readers may have, so how do I attach it to the tractor, what speed should I use with the plow, and/or how should I actually start plowing in my field?

In the book's current state, it simply does not provide the 'How To' information that its target reader will need to know. I also have a huge concern that the book doesn't go far enough to warn newbies of the dangers and safety risks associated with the implements.

Guys be careful out there, and make 100% sure that you know how to operate the implement in a safe manor.

/ Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm #2  
Thanks for posting the review.

I found the library has some interesting books on small scale farming. Some of the best ones were published in the 30's, 40's and 50's. A lot of building practical farming tools for little or no money. Things like A frame gantries, self closing gates to keep the cows in, etc.

Also found that the "Organic Farming" books are worth a read. Many are written by and for the hippy commune types, but again it shows how to get the task done with little $$. Also show some real interesting ways to enrich soils .

jb

/ Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm #3  
jlinskey:

Thanks for the review. I have the book and agree with you. jb's recommendations are solid. Experience is the best teacher if you live through the "learning curve" :eek:. Every now and then I realize there is more to learn :rolleyes:. Jay :D

/ Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm #4  
I bought that book about a year ago, before I bought a tractor, and I also agree with you. Better than nothing, but very incomplete. For those interested in hay implements the book on small-scale haymaking is somewhat more useful. I have found using TBN to be a far more useful source of information than the book you reviewed!

/ Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm #5  
Here is a pretty decent file to get you started... Hope it helps..

Attachments

• Implements and what they do.pdf
    528.2 KB · Views: 701
   / Review: How To Use Implements on Your Small-Scale Farm #6  
Printable Brochure

JD training material...

Combine Harvesting
How to operate, maintain, and improve the efficiency of your combine.
Book ゥ 2007 FMO15105NC US$ 36.95
Instructor Guide FMO15505T US$ 43.95
Student Guide FMO15605W US$ 19.95

Hay and Forage Harvesting
"Real world" evaluations of the many different ways to improve hay and forage harvesting and storage efficiency.
Book ゥ 2004 FMO14105NC US$ 40.95
Instructor Guide FMO14505T US$ 52.95
Student Guide FMO14605W US$ 17.95

Preventive Maintenance
A practical step-by-step guide to reducing equipment operating costs and downtime, and improving operating safety.
Book ゥ 2007 FMO16107NC US$ 47.95
Instructor Guide FMO16507T US$ 35.95
Student Guide FMO16607W US$ 20.95

Tillage
A practical guide to the latest tillage methods, conservation planning, crop-residue management, and solutions to soil compaction.
Book ゥ 2007 FMO11104NC US$ 37.95
Instructor Guide FMO11504T US$ 83.95
Student Guide FMO11604W US$ 23.95

Tractors
How to operate, maintain, and improve the performance of your tractors. Book w/supplement ゥ 1994 FMO10103NCX US$ 42.95
Instructor Guide FMO10503T US$ 35.95
Student Guide FMO10603W US$ 17.95