disk harrrow question for kabota

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #11  
My neighbor has pulled my 10 foot disc with his kubota which is the same model as yours I think. It's a 50 horse with industrial tires and 4 wheel drive. He didn't have any trouble on his little 5 acres but then again, we changed the offset a little to make it easier for him too. My last tractor was an old MM with only 45 HP and it pulled it fine. I only got stuck once that I can remember and that was while turning on a corner in the mud. My hydraulics had all kinds of problems on that tractor and sometimes I couldn't lift the disc up.
Now I have a 100 horse machine and I don't even know the disc is there.

I think you will be fine with a 10 foot but 45 acres is a lot of ground to cover in a tractor that small. Wear your sunscreen.

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #12  
If you purchased the tractor locally, I'd speak with the dealer--he should know the conditions of the soil and the capability of the tractor. Tell him what you want to do, and he should have "an input".

If you are planning to buy the disk from him or another dealer, tell them what you are planning, settle on a price, and have them deliver it. The final condition of the sale is IF your tractor can handle 10FT. When it arrives, take it to the toughest part of your property and disk a small area two or three times, to see how good a seedbed it can make in multiple passes, not lose traction, yada, yada. With the dealer watching (and helping you adjust it), you can make your final decision.

It would help if your dealer had an 8ft as well, so he'd know that you would buy one or the other. I would think any good dealer would be willing to do this--at least, around here they do.

My two cents. Hope this helps.
ron

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #13  
One more trick I've used... when I had a different (smaller) tractor ...

After disking a couple of times, if it now sinks too deep, one option is to remove disks from the end of each gang, maybe 1 set at a time, until it gives you the balance between depth, pull, width, speed you are looking for.

/ disk harrrow question for kabota
To bbirder
Our two tractors are basically the same, as matter of fact the first time I climbed under my M4800 to change the hydraulic filters. I noticed the tranny had "M4900" cast into the housing. To answer your question, yes, I do have remotes, at the time I bought the tractor I was an avid reader of this site and had read one of the postings where it was said to get the remotes when you first buy the tractor as you will save a few buck's as a package deal. At the time I didn't have a reason for having remotes, but now I'm glad I did it and I am begining to realize the value of having them after all. All at the same time visioning($$$) a wood splitter, post driver and other neat hydraulic tools. Needless to say my bride doesn't quite share in the vision. LOL

WTA said:
My neighbor has pulled my 10 foot disc with his kubota which is the same model as yours I think. It's a 50 horse with industrial tires and 4 wheel drive. He didn't have any trouble on his little 5 acres but then again, we changed the offset a little to make it easier for him too. My last tractor was an old MM with only 45 HP and it pulled it fine. I only got stuck once that I can remember and that was while turning on a corner in the mud. My hydraulics had all kinds of problems on that tractor and sometimes I couldn't lift the disc up.
Now I have a 100 horse machine and I don't even know the disc is there.

I think you will be fine with a 10 foot but 45 acres is a lot of ground to cover in a tractor that small. Wear your sunscreen.
yes your right 45 acres is a lot to cover but I figured I would break it up into 10 or 11 acre sections and do it over a few weeks. I guess it is a good thing I don't need to do it all at one time or else I would need some sun screen or a good brand of barbeque sauce.

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #16  
BASSIN20 said:
yes your right 45 acres is a lot to cover but I figured I would break it up into 10 or 11 acre sections and do it over a few weeks. I guess it is a good thing I don't need to do it all at one time or else I would need some sun screen or a good brand of barbeque sauce.

As much sunscreen that you will need over the lifetime of your tractor, it would be cheaper to buy a sunshade (canopy) for your tractor. :rolleyes: That way you'll always be in the shade.:cool:

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #17  
BASSIN20 said:
To bbirder
Our two tractors are basically the same, as matter of fact the first time I climbed under my M4800 to change the hydraulic filters. I noticed the tranny had "M4900" cast into the housing. To answer your question, yes, I do have remotes, at the time I bought the tractor I was an avid reader of this site and had read one of the postings where it was said to get the remotes when you first buy the tractor as you will save a few buck's as a package deal. At the time I didn't have a reason for having remotes, but now I'm glad I did it and I am begining to realize the value of having them after all. All at the same time visioning($$$) a wood splitter, post driver and other neat hydraulic tools. Needless to say my bride doesn't quite share in the vision. LOL

I have an M4800 with a 6.5' disk about 78" ground coverage. The manual that came with my tractor says that a 7' is the max width. If you are planning on turning the ground with a turning plow first a 7' or 8' disk is as wide as I would go. My 6.5' is a heavy duty model and weighs in at almost 1000#.

I personally wouldn't go wider than 8', because I think you would have problems with a 10' disk in turned ground. Your tractor being 2wd, like mine, will run out of traction pulling the disk before it runs out of horsepower. If your tractor were FWA (4wd) you might be ok with a 10' pull behind as you could raise the disk when you loose traction.

I have pulled a 10' grain drill and my tractor did ok, but if the ground had been softer or wetter I am sure that I would have had traction problems.

I hate to see you spend a lot of money on a 10' disk and then have to turn around and sell it to buy one more suitable for your tractor. Maybe you have a farmer that is a neighbor that would let you try one out behind your tractor before you lay down your cold hard earned cash.

On the topic of the rear remotes and toys (I mean tools). I have slowly over the past 4 years added a hydraulic log splitter ($300 for it and a rear blade used) and a grapple that I run off the rear hydraulics. You now will be able to add those extra attachments as you "need" them.

The only regret that I have is that I only had one remote put on the tractor when I ordered it instead of two.

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #18  
bassin20, if you are intending to drive T posts, you already have a post driver... your FEL... or FLE as your public information says:D

texasjohn said:
bassin20, if you are intending to drive T posts, you already have a post driver... your FEL... or FLE as your public information says:D
YES, Your absolutely right about the FEL being used to drive "T" post. My biggest problem is having extra help needed to do it using the FEL. Most of the time I am working alone so I have to figure out ways one person can accomplish the task with out getting hurt. althought the exercise climbing up and down off the tractor isn't a bad thing either. Thanks for pointing out my spelling error, when you open up your profile box it doesn't let you see evrything you have written. So up until now I didn't know I typed it in wrong. thanks.

/ disk harrrow question for kabota #20  
texasjohn said:

Well this may be more fun. If you are down south, this time of year where the gound is damp, bed rock is 1000+ feet down, and your not in that red clay, you can actually drive T-posts probably 5 to 1 and it be just about as easy. About 3 decent wacks to cover the blade thingy and move on. In 1999 we had a real long hard drout and were putting up some fence around deer feeders. This was not hard soil. Took 3 guys rotating about 25 wacks to put one down(and Frank goes about 280). these were the standard cast type T's. While a FEL would have helped, I could see some post getting bent going into the ground...maybe all being bent. That same soil after the rains came...about 3 wacks to get into the top soil. I've never punished my hands more than that weekend.