Oil & Fuel Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy?

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #11  
   / Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #12  
CurlyDave said:
You would be amazed at how much easier it is to pour from a can when it is not completely full.

That's a great idea-thanks for the tip:) I usually fill them to the safe line.

I have two (diesel and gas) of those "Flo n Go" nozzle/pump attachments (from Canadian Tire) that I used for putting on my 5 gallon fuel containers. They are more work then they are worth so I don't use the anymore.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #13  
When I first got my TC 30 some 4 years ago , I did the 5 gallon can thing for 2 fill-ups and told myself " There has to be a better way " . :confused:

So checked around and picked up a used 360 gallon tank for $100 , then a new rotary pump for around the same , a couple of rattle cans of silver rustoleum paint and about a 1/2 day cutting and converting the stand from a high gravity feed system down to a low manual pump system .

Had it filled shortly afterwards , ( going on 3 summers ago ) and have used some weres between 1/2 and 2/3 of that original 350 gallons . Have added fuel treatment to tank each fall , ( anti-gel and conditioner ) , with-out nary a problem with bad fuel . The real advantage is that I am able to buy off-road / dyed diesel , so there is less tax thus cheaper than just going down to the local station for 5 gallons , ( course being able to just drive up next to the tank when gauge gets low and dropping the hose in comes in handy also :D ) .
The only bad thing is that since the tank was originally gravity feed , it only has one large bung in the top for filling or for pump use . Does have smaller bung for vent , but it is not large enough for pump or fill , so when I need to have it filled or adding conditioner , I have to pull the pump .

Almost as good an investment as the tractor itself .

Take care all .

Fred H.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #14  
1*Been lots of post about using air to power fuel storage tanks on this board.
2*You probably could set up a 30 gallon drum for less money.
That's another problem with the Caddy=they won't hold enough to qualify you to purchase the cheaper home delivered fuel.
3*As hard as it is to lift and pour from the heavy 5 gallon cans I just can't imagine ever hoisting and pouring from 10 and 15 gallon cans.
4*Now that I have 3 diesel tractors instead of just one I'm going with a 30 gallon drum so I can get my fuel home delivered for less money per gallon.
POSTERS said:
1*I am thinking that you could power something like this with a portable air tank.
2*The problem I see with a Fuel Caddy is that it is enormously expensive.
3*I got a 15 gallon and a 10 gallon can from Northern
4*I have a 30 gal barrel with a hand pump but I don't use that much diesel.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #15  
When I first got my TC 30 some 4 years ago , I did the 5 gallon can thing for 2 fill-ups and told myself " There has to be a better way " . :confused:

So checked around and picked up a used 360 gallon tank for $100 , then a new rotary pump for around the same , a couple of rattle cans of silver rustoleum paint and about a 1/2 day cutting and converting the stand from a high gravity feed system down to a low manual pump system .

Had it filled shortly afterwards , ( going on 3 summers ago ) and have used some weres between 1/2 and 2/3 of that original 350 gallons . Have added fuel treatment to tank each fall , ( anti-gel and conditioner ) , with-out nary a problem with bad fuel . The real advantage is that I am able to buy off-road / dyed diesel , so there is less tax thus cheaper than just going down to the local station for 5 gallons , ( course being able to just drive up next to the tank when gauge gets low and dropping the hose in comes in handy also :D ) .
The only bad thing is that since the tank was originally gravity feed , it only has one large bung in the top for filling or for pump use . Does have smaller bung for vent , but it is not large enough for pump or fill , so when I need to have it filled or adding conditioner , I have to pull the pump .

Almost as good an investment as the tractor itself .

Take care all .

Fred H.
Put a tee in the line use one side for the pump and the other side to fill it .
No more pulling the pump .

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #16  
I made my own caddy out of a 15 gallon white plastic container. I got the container from work (free). At work I buy boiler treatment chemicals in 15 gallon drums. They have a screw cap and lifting handle on top. When the drums are empty I triple rinse them out and take them home. One is for my fuel caddy. It uses a cheap electric fuel pump, small trailer brake battery, a push button momentary contact switch, some 3/8" clear tubing and some hose clamps I picked up at auto parts store for about $50-60. I labelled the drum with stick on diesel labels and set it on a 4 wheel dolly to roll around. I can take the 15 gallon drum to the truck stop to refill it.
I use other 15 gallon drums for used oil since I get a lot of that from the various vehicles and equipment. I usually give my used oil to a friend who uses a waste oil burner in his shop for heat.