Oil & Fuel Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy?

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #1  

flyingj

Tractor
2007 NH TC45Da
I am beginning to hate 5 gallon cans, either they are too slow or leak when you dump them in the tractor. I see NorthernTool sells something called a "fuel caddy"
Duramax 14 Gallon Fuel Caddy | Gas + Oil Cans | Northern Tool + Equipment

Has anyone tried these? I am thinking that you could add a low pressure regulator to a normal gas can, limiting the pressure to 5-10 psi, and power something like this with a portable air tank.

Any other suggestions?

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #3  
The problem I see with something like this is that is is enormously expensive compared to my solution of only putting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon can, and paying a little attention not to cross-thread the spout on the can.

You would be amazed at how much easier it is to pour from a can when it is not completely full.

Plus, if when you screw the spout on you aim it either left or right instead of straight in line with the can, that again makes it much easier to pour.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #4  
I had one of those and when I got it it leaked so I returned it. I ended up returning that and got a 15 gallon and a 10 gallon cans from Norrthern. I like this arrangement much better. I dont know how to copy it from northern and paste it to here. I use the 15 gallon one for diesel and the 10 gallon for gas in the summer and kerosene in the winter. V

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #5  
I bought the 14 gal. Duramax two weeks ago. I painted it yellow with sray plastic paint from HD. I have not had a lot of experience with it, I have only used about 12 gallons out of it.

I did like the fact that I can role it to the FEL and raise it up to create a good flow to fill the tractor. It is a little slow, but for me it beats 5 gal. cans.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #6  
I'm always fighting a leaking gas can. I have one good spout left for the diesel. I don't know why they start leaking. I have tried new rubber gaskets and that works sometimes. It just boils down to those spouts are junk and designed to be throw aways like every thing else. Manufactures spent to much time trying to invent the vent-less cans when they need to put more thought into a durable spout. I'm kicking around the idea of making my own spout . I have a 30 gal barrel with a hand pump but i don't use that much diesel. I might use 10 gal in a month. The hand pump is cheap harbor frieght and cant justify the $100+ for a good pump yet and a full barrel is a hand full. So for now i guess i need to either make a good spout or buy another disposable spout to last a few more months.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #7  
Lasgambler said:
I did like the fact that I can role it to the FEL and raise it up to create a good flow to fill the tractor. It is a little slow, but for me it beats 5 gal. cans.

I have the same can and use a small (8") quick grip to lock the handle in place while it fills. It is slow but I hit a few of the loader zirks while it's filling, the ones I can reach without walking under the loader.:eek:

It was only $99 at the Navy Exchange and no tax.:)

Eventually I'll replace the OEM hose with something that doesn't kink so easily.

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #8  
I like the idea of the fuel caddy.. but not the price. I hit a chinese store and bought a small hand dolley for 15$, and a hand rotary barell pump for 9$. It has a bung adapter for the common 2" bungs. I put my hands on a 35gallon grease keg from a shop, and cleaned the rest of the grease out with rags and some diesel.. a bunji cord later and i had a 35g fuel caddy. I used fuel rated hose from an auto store and a barb fitting to attach it to the rotary hand pump. Now i just roll up tot he tractor, toss the hose in the tank, and spin till it's full and that's it..

cost: $ 30$ or so plus the free drum.

soundguy

flyingj said:
I am beginning to hate 5 gallon cans, either they are too slow or leak when you dump them in the tractor. I see NorthernTool sells something called a "fuel caddy"
Duramax 14 Gallon Fuel Caddy | Gas + Oil Cans | Northern Tool + Equipment

Has anyone tried these? I am thinking that you could add a low pressure regulator to a normal gas can, limiting the pressure to 5-10 psi, and power something like this with a portable air tank.

Any other suggestions?

/ Anybody tried a Fuel Caddy? #10  
I purchased one of these caddy's from Canadian Tire on a pretty good special. I like having the volume available....but I find it to be very slow. I have to raise it up (generally the bed of the pickup) to get any decent flow at all, and then it seems to come out very slowly. I put a clamp on the handle to hold it and then go do other things, checking occassionally to monitor it. Don't know if I would bother buying one again.