Filled front tires

/ Filled front tires #1  

elalexander

Gold Member
Tractor
1982 Bolens/Iseki TS 1910 f (G194)
I need to add some weight to my front end. I know my rear tires are fluid filled but can you add fluid to the front wheels and get away from suitcase weights? I know weights may still be needed but I'm just looking for a fix that don't cost more then several gallons of beet juice, or windshield washer anti-freeze.

Any ideas?:eek:

Thanks, EL

/ Filled front tires #2  
I have been wanting to ad wieight to my satoh beaver my friend at the tire shop says just ad water and a quart of antifreeze but i want to build a weight setup that is removeable so i can use it when i need and and take if off when i dont.

/ Filled front tires #3  
I have my front tires filled. They add about 35 lbs. each, the tires are 6x12 ags. I still use my suitcase weights also. So I don't think just filling your tires would be enough.

Solo

/ Filled front tires #4  
Like Solo there are a number of members on the forum that use liquid ballast in their front tires and have not had a problem. In past discussions there are also numbers of members that do not recommend filling the fronts because of the added stress on the front spindles. My manual says not to, so you may want to check what is recommended for your tractor.

MarkV

/ Filled front tires #5  
WildWest said:
I have been wanting to ad wieight to my satoh beaver my friend at the tire shop says just ad water and a quart of antifreeze but i want to build a weight setup that is removeable so i can use it when i need and and take if off when i dont.
You can use plain water and drain it on the ground when you dont need it. Texas temperature lows should present no danger. Drive more carfully over big bumps when theyre full.
larry

/ Filled front tires #6  
I had calcium filled front and rear tires , had to get the front fixed from thorns and junk in dirt piles for leaks. :( I then got the front foam filled, best thing I ever did . No more thorns ,great ballast and made a world of difference with a heavy bucket in the stability cause no sidewall flex or bounce. I never got the rear foamed cause of the cost and size , plus never had trouble with leaks.
Macdabs

/ Filled front tires #7  
MarkV said:
Like Solo there are a number of members on the forum that use liquid ballast in their front tires and have not had a problem. In past discussions there are also numbers of members that do not recommend filling the fronts because of the added stress on the front spindles. My manual says not to, so you may want to check what is recommended for your tractor. (Emphasis by ToT)

MarkV

That seems odd. Why would 35 lb on the wheel stress the spindle any more than several hundred lb. in the bucket? The spindle still has to transmit the load to the ground.

Unless they are concerned about steering force... Hm, gotta think that one through... by all means, though, go by the manual!

Next, as I am not an owner yet (see my TC-18 thread under NH buying and pricing), just how do you go about getting the liquid in there? And then do you finish it off with air to get the right pressure?

Later,

Tom

/ Filled front tires #8  
TomOfTarsus said:
And then do you finish it off with air to get the right pressure?

I lifted the wheel off the ground with valve stem up put water in until it was at the valve stem, then bled off all the pressure. Then it's kind of trial and error. Add water for 30 seconds, then check pressure and so on. I'm using water only, since It doesn't get cold, long enough here to freeze that much water. (A half inch on the dogs bowl, it the most I've seen)

/ Filled front tires #9  
Yeah, but what do you use? A water pump with an air chuck on it? This wannabe tractor guy is just too curious! :confused:

/ Filled front tires #10  
Oh sorry! You can by a water hose to schraeder valve adapter at the NAPA auto part store to the Tractor Supply store. It's about $10.