Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940

Default Moving Firewood

I have the almost perfect system of getting firewood out of my woods and to my house. I have old auto parts bins that I fill as I cut in the woods. I use my tractor with fel to load the bins onto my 18' trailer (no sides). I then pull the filled trailer to my house which is about 7 road miles from my woods. Here enters the problem. I am trying to figure out a way to unload the bins at home without driving my tractor back home. The bins are about 4 ft by 4 ft and weigh around 800 lbs (est). Of course the most sensible solution is to buy another brand new kubota, but I could wind up getting shot for that. I have a Kawasaki Mule and I was trying to figure out a simple way to pull the bins off the trailer, then I could move them with a pallet jack or just wait until I'm done hauling wood for the day and bring home the tractor. Any good ideas? I have two removable ramps so I have a wide open rear end of the trailer.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

Default Re: Moving Firewood

too bad you don't have a deck about the same height as your trailer - then you could just use the pallet jack to unload the trailer.

or how about finding a tree or post you could attach a comalong or tow chain to and use that to pull the trailer out from under the parts bins. (hook bin, drive slowly away, bin stays in one place but trailer and ramps pull out from under it) Space the ramps so it'll slide down them then back up and repeat until trailer is empty? (OK, so this may not be the safest option)

third - make something like an oversized engine hoist so you can pick up the bin and swing it off the trailer before lowering to the ground again. (comealong would work well here, too if you wanted a fixed boom instead of hydraulic)
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

RFB
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC

Build a gantry. Two uprights, 6x6 pressure treated. Cross member, I beam.
    Trolley with chain or electric hoist.

Pull under it, attach load, raise load, pull out, lower load.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

Use a dump trailer, just raise it and let then slide off.
    M-5040 w/cab, 05 RTV 900, Where the maple sap flows

Tractor
    Kioti CK20(Gear)
    Kioti, CK20(Gear), Loader, Backhoe, Box Scraper, and Post Hole Digger.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

some thing with wheels, like a dolly or a HD hand truck that you could get under one side at least and half drag it.

Or this would take a little extra work but if you are putting the bins on the trailer in two rows then you could dump the bins off each side of the trailer then when you came home with the tractor you would have to load the bins again. this way you could reuse the bins to go get another load, I'm assuming you have to go back to the woods to retrieve your tractor with the empty trailer.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Platinum Member
    20 miles southeeast of downtown Sacramento
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23

I'd just use my engine hoist and some straps.
    Kubota BX23, BT600 BH, LA210 FEL, Maschio L125 tiller, Gearmore BB 20-48 BB, King Cutter 6' rear blade, Homemade PHD, Brinly BST-50 broadcaster, ? 6' cultipacker, log & chain drag.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

Thanks for the responses. Sandlot, thanks for sending those links. That looks like the way I should be thinking. I will also have to look into the engine hoist.

Keep the ideas coming!

Tractor
    Kioti CK20(Gear)

My pleasure. Hope you get it worked out. You may consider adding rollers or wheels to your bins. You could just roll them down some ramps.
    Kioti, CK20(Gear), Loader, Backhoe, Box Scraper, and Post Hole Digger.

Platinum Member firefighter9208's Avatar
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800

Just hook the trailer behind the tractor. Drive home, unhook the trailer, unload it. And then return to the woods. 7 miles isn't that far.

Chris
    2004 Kubota M4800 with Bushhog M346 Loader with 6' Heavy Duty Bucket and Bale Spear. 6' Bushhog SQ720 Mower, Bushhog RDTH72 Finish Mower. Bushhog 3pth Log Splitter. Andy Tatro Grapple. Home Made 48" pallet forks.

1966 Farmall 140 with cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

1999 F250 LWB Ext. Cab 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF 6 Speed, Chip, Exhaust, Cool Air Intake.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

1969 Mach1 Mustang 351W. Too much to list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast