kubota gst

/ kubota gst #1  

hunt2771

I'm currently looking at a Kubota L4240 GST. I'm not that familiar with this type of transmission, other that a test drive, and was wandering if anyone who has used one would list some pros and cons of GST vs. DT? One dealer I visited told me that the GST could give me problems in hilly terrain, such as slipping out of gear. My land is fairly hilly so I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with the GST on hills?

/ kubota gst #2  
Your sales person is, well, an idiot. I can think of one and only one reason to say that. They overbought DT tractors and have to move them.

The GST is a hydraulically shifted gear transmission. It is able to be shifted up or down on the fly without using the clutch. Much much better than the DT. If you are doing a lot of ground engaging activities like plowing, or disking it's fantastic. It's also pretty good at FEL work, but not as good as the HST.

Last edited:
   / kubota gst #3  
I second what Jon said.

I currently have one 20 year old machine L3450 (1220 hrs) that is GST. I've run newer ones as well, only thing you have to keep in mind with the GST and hills is that when you shift gears on the fly or shuttle from reverse to forward on the fly, there is a slight period of time where the trans is in a neutral state, so, if your on a steep incline the tractor can pickup some speed from gravity. The newer machines seem to have eliminated this sensation, but in either case, once you get used to it, it's not really an issue.

The DT tractor would have to be brought to a stop on that hilly area, which means you'd have to use the brakes anyway.

Bottom line: GST is the same in principle as the DT tractor, they just use a hydraulic actuator to eliminate the need to stop the tractor and clutch into a different gear. It is 100% better at loader work than a straight clutch machine. If your mowing large open areas or other tasks that don't require change of direction much, I guess the DT would be ok.

/ kubota gst #4  
If you are going to do much loader work I would get anything other than a DT. On my little b7100DT I can shift with my left hand, steer with my right hand and bump the loader into float with my right elbow as I back out of the pile but this may not be possible with a larger unit. Freeing up a hand would be helpful as well as how much faster you can change directions.

Charles

/ kubota gst #5  
I have an L 4630, and my farm is VERY hilly. I couldn't have an easier transmission to use. My other tractors are vintage gear tractors, and I was fine with them, but the GST is perfect for hilly areas, and I use it for a huge amount of loader work, including moving round bales.