Newbie question on muffler

/ Newbie question on muffler #1  

woodhawg

Just bought my first tractor with an up muffler (Ford 1720). Old Ford 841 had down muffler. Was doing some clearing last evening and noticed several times limbs and stuff was hitting the muffler. Do people add any kind of protection to keep from dragging muffler off? Hate to think of damaging the manifold down below if you push hard enough on the top of that pipe.

Thanks

woodhawg

/ Newbie question on muffler #2  
Run flat bar from the muffler pipe to your ROPS and use a chevy transmission mount one the rops

/ Newbie question on muffler #3  
woodhawg said:
Just bought my first tractor with an up muffler (Ford 1720). Old Ford 841 had down muffler. Was doing some clearing last evening and noticed several times limbs and stuff was hitting the muffler. Do people add any kind of protection to keep from dragging muffler off? Hate to think of damaging the manifold down below if you push hard enough on the top of that pipe.

Thanks

woodhawg

Some people put on a bumper, and then run a sloped bar from the bumper up to the rops as a deflector for limbs and branches.. etc.

soundguy

/ Newbie question on muffler #4  
woodhawg said:

Thanks

woodhawg

Don't they use a four bolt flange to connect to the exhaust manifold? If so, you could turn the muffler 90 degrees.

/ Newbie question on muffler #5  
They used to be that way for sure. It was also possible to convert it to a horizontal exhaust by adding an adaptor between the muffler and the manifold. It might still be available through your local dealer.