Bronze Member

Default How Much Front Bumper Weight?

I have a New Holland TC30 tractor and I recently purchase a Rhino 6ft finish mower. The Rhino mower is built with some heavy gauge steel. When I used the mower for the first time I found when going up a hill the front end of the tractor would sometimes raise the front wheels off the ground. Also, making turns was not as easy as be. I was thinking about adding weight to the front bumper. I was thinking about 100lbs may solve the problem. What is your experience and thoughts? Thanks.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Default Re: How Much Front Bumper Weight?

That will certainly help. When I run my light duty rotary cutter on my JD790 without the FEL, I put five 40 pound weights on the front. It is fine, but still a little lighter in the front than with the FEL in place. If 100 turns out to be light, add some more!
    Rob
    John Deere 790, 70 FEL, 7 BH, 513 cutter and other fun stuff

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I had a similar problem with front tires not gripping during snow removal and made a bracket that holds 5 hanging weights. Each is about 30# totaling 150. It has helped put more weight on the tires.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

I carry 250lbs of suitcase weights on the front of my kubota B2910 when using my Brush Cutter or Tote Box. Makes life a lot easier!!
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Kubota L3830 HST, JD Gator 855D

Stoner-
    I have a L3830 kubota and the dealer sold me 4 55lb suitcase weights to use when I run my 5ft Woods rotary cutter. The 220lbs balances the 550lb cutter very nicely. I think you will find it easier to run the tractor with ample front weights.