What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling

/ What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling #1  

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
I was looking at my 54 inch JD front plow today and noticed a two position adjustable J-pin on it. The manual says to use one position for digging and grading. And the other position for clearing and leveling.
I'm not sure that I understand the difference between these functions. I noticed that the blade is locked in place for digging and grading. But it is restrained by heavy springs for clearing and leveling.
How and when do I use these settings?

/ What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling #2  
Digging = disturb and move dirt in quantities
Grading = move dirt in quantities, but for purpose of shaping, sloping, or making flat
Leveling = move very little dirt (or whatever) for purpose of making flat. Admittedly some overlap with grading.
Clearing = most likely means removing snow.

I think the locked in place settings are for pushing dirt that doesn't want to be moved, and the springloaded settings are for either moving snow or getting final level on dirt or sand. Basically, when you don't need to apply lots of force, and applying extra force might be harmful (e.g. plowing snow and accidentally stripping your gravel driveway).

/ What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling #4  
Not an expert on front blade use, but...

Digging / grading you are taking more dirt and wanting to move it. Applications would be cutting off 2" of dirt to affect final grade and drainage. All the trash (rocks, roots, buried '53 Studebakers, etc will be gone) For that you need the blade to be immobile.

Clearing and leveling you will have more trash and you will want to operate at a faster ground speed. The blade being able to spring back when it hits an object (like that buried '53 Studebaker) is a real benefit. Also, you don't want the blade to dig in and start moving lots of dirt. Maybe just skim off 1/2" and gather up the trash and move it off to the side. My guess is that the clearing setting also holds the blade at a less aggressive angle to the ground so it is less likely to dig in.

HTH,
jb

/ What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling
This plow came with a rubber snowplow edge and the blade set in the digging/grading position. Maybe this locked position is what to use for snow.
And maybe clearing (the spring loaded position) might mean removing surface brush and debrie without digging in.
I don't know.

/ What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling #6  
I would suggest not plowing snow in the solid position. Typically the springs are for things like clearing snow where you'd want to move quicker and have the ability to allow the blade to trip rather than have it wedge in an expansion joint in a driveway for example and possibly cause equipment damage.

If you wanted to use it to push dirt and debris around, probably at lower speeds than snow removal, you would probably want to have the blade fixed in place.

At least that's my take on things.

/ What's the difference between digging/grading and clearing/leveling #7  
To make it simple, use in the trip spring position for plowing snow and the locked position for anything else. The spring position is so that if you hit a hidden imovable object buried in the snow. The blade will trip forward lessening the shock impact to the blade and tractor. You use the locked position when pushing dirt. If you did not lock the blade it would trip everytime you tried to cut some dirt. One word of caution when using it in the locked position don't run into something with the balde that won't move at high speed. Stump or rock. You can push on a stump or rock with it in the locked position, but take it easy.

Sincerely, Dirt