Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to owning a tractor, in the summer of '07 bought a JD2305 with a FEL,MMM,BH. After going through some of groups here on TBN I've discovered there are some cool attachments/implements that I could use, but maybe only once, or who knows maybe more? So, I'm wondering, is there any kind of newspaper, web site, etc. for used tractor attachments/implements/etc. covering central Pa., let's say within an hour's drive around Harrisburg? I know there are classified ads in most of the local papers, but I was just wondering if there is anything dealing specifically with tractor "stuff"? Maybe there's some sort of national newspaper and it has a classified section dealing with just certain areas?

Thanks,
Ray

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #2  
There are some decent deals on Craigslist under Farm and Garden. Look under the York, Harrisburg and Lancaster listings (and others if you wish).
There's also an outfit in Seven Valleys whose name eludes me. They advertise and auction on eBay frequently. They auction off 3PH equipment quite often. I have bid on some of their auctions, but too often the prices go too high.
It's also worth renting equipment occasionally. True Value Hardware in Shrewsbury rents back blades, landscape rakes and such stuff.

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #3  
There is a local farm paper called Lancaster Farming, it will have what your looking for and them some. These is also a dealer called Messicks (thats me!) that would be more than willing to help with your attachment needs.

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members
Hi guys,

Thanks for the response, going to be checking out what you've recommended.

Roy...Sure has been a long time since I've heard, "Mr. Manely"! Used to be I couldn't wait to hear him, and his "sage" advice in the morning!!!:D :D I guess the poor dude was one of the first to be caught in the 'politically correct' movement.:mad: Did you get a tape of his manual?:)

Ray

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #5  
Not sure what you are looking for but TSC (Tractor Supply Corp) carries quite a few attachments (new) for tractors at lower prices. I'd bet there are a few TSC stores in the Harrisburg area. Good luck.

Hi all,

sunnyside360...As I mentioned I'm new to tractoring and am just learning about some things I never knew existed or what they do. For instance the single bladed subsoiler. On one of the posts, a gentlemen showed how he used his to drag & bury a poly pipe all in one operation, and that's something I'm thinking on doing. Want to bury a pipe between the house & my shed, approx. 100'. So, I did go the the TSC web site and they want $128. Now, if I was going to use this device over & over, that may not be a bad price. But, for a one time use? So, that's one of the things that made me think about looking into used equipment. Plus, I don't know if the rental places in the area carry farming attachments, but I will be checking them out. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to respond.:)

Ray

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #7  
The guys in Seven Valleys PA are G W MCgrew auction co. McGrew Equipment

If you are near Leola PA Wolgemuth Auction Has good equipment auctions on the 4th Tuesday of the month at their yard north of town.
New Page 1

You might see what you want the first time you go or you might never see it but I enjoy just going. Oh yeah, about the time you see something you really like there is some yahoo who bids 50% more than you could buy it new.:rolleyes:

Chris

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #8  
pennwalk said:
Oh yeah, about the time you see something you really like there is some yahoo who bids 50% more than you could buy it new.:rolleyes:

Thats no joke! We regularly hear of people paying within 10% of brand new pricing for somthing off McGrews auction. I don't know what they're thinking?! I guess the assumption is that because its there and up for auction that its bound to be cheaper than a new one.

Hi all,

MessickFarmEqu

Thats no joke! We regularly hear of people paying within 10% of brand new pricing for somthing off McGrews auction. I don't know what they're thinking?!

Yep, been there done that!:( Newly married, cars expensive, have "mechanical ability" = auto auction! Sometimes found myself bidding way above what I originally intended, think it's called "in the heat of the moment".:eek: Fortunately, there were others who out bid me! Did learn some leasons though!:)

Ray

/ Newbie seeking info from Central Pa. members #10  
I was just at Mcgrew on saturday. I bought a set of turf tires and wheels on ebay. New Holland dealer wanted $522 per wheel, less tire. I got a great deal to the tune of $221 for all four wheels and tires as new condition. Sometimes there is a deal to be had. They even opened early as they new I was 3 hours away. They have a ton of stuff on the lot for retail sale.

Brad