Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B7510 HST

Default buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab

Here is my dilemma, I own and run a landscaping company with 3 full time employees. I also hire every summer 4 or 5 high school seniors looking for summer work. I am looking to purchase a new tractor. It needs to be at least 40 horsepower and don稚 really want to go much bigger than 50, for easier transportation to and from jobs. It has to be 4x4 and has to be hydrostatic. I am thinking about also making this purchase a cab tractor to be able to work in all weather conditions. I brush hog about 30 2 to 5 acres lots 3 times a year. My problem is I normally send the summer help to do those jobs and keep my full time knowledgeable help work on other jobs. I always like to show the kids how to do it but its not safe riding on the step to show them how to operate it. I recently saw a small john deer utity tractor that had a cab and a little fold out seat for a second person to show how to operate something to. Are there any tractor manufactures that have a cab big enough in the 40 to 50 horsepower range for this seat. I was looking at a kubota L 5240. but the dealer said that it cant be done.

Default Re: buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab

I'm just wingin' it here but my guess is OSHA would have you locked up for riding 2 up if someone got hurt. Don't think instuctor seats are available in the US, not that they are necessarily a bad idea. Good luck.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

I suggest that you get a couple of walkie talkies and you give your usual instructions while stopped, then let the newbie take off while you maintain verbal contact from a distance.... continuing to give directions....you are planning on being in the area to provide instruction anyway... and from one side you are safer.

I applaud the hydrostatic approach.... lift your foot and it comes to a standstill... faster with the brake... no lurches... good control.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC

I have previously researched the issue and instructor seats are available in U.S. tractors, but one does not see them in the 50hp sizes.

The kubota M108-125's, John Deere 6430 and up, and Deutz-Fahr Agrotron series have them, but you are looking at 90+ hp tractors to accommodate the space requirements.

Tractor
    JD, Allis-Chalmers, Zetor

My 55 hp Zetor has a factory buddy seat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veneer Tree Farmer

Platinum Member
    Tractor

That's neat. Do you have any photos of the tractor cab, what model is it, and what is your overall impression of Zetor?

Tractor

Bought it new in '04. Much cheaper acquisition than green, blue tractors. I thought the cab has better fit & finish than Massey Ferguson. NH TN's are lower profile for mowing, straddle the transmission hump. JD had the best ergonomics.

Very reliable, rugged and simple to maintain. The hydraulic clutch cylinder (dry clutch) failed this Spring & it took all of 45 mins to replace & bleed. $50 part. Zetor Tractor Parts delivers next day to the barnyard.

I do use it year round for everything with multiple attachments. New tractor with ancient tools!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veneer Tree Farmer

Platinum Member
    Tractor

What price range do their 90ish hp models run (if you know) I think they are the Proxima Plus?

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Most compact tractors do not have enough room to safely have a buddy seat in the cab. You need enough room for two sets of legs to fit and not interfere with the operator.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RFB
    What price range do their 90ish hp models run (if you know) I think they are the Proxima Plus?
    Don't know current pricing but I bought the smallest one on my dealers lot.

Have sat in a Proxima and changes seemed evolutionary. Seat is fancier & swivels, etc. Engines are all turbo'd emission compliant. I specifically bought the older non turbo 4 cyl model for simplicity.
    Veneer Tree Farmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast