buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #1  

bkruszka

Tractor
Kubota B7510 HST
Here is my dilemma, I own and run a landscaping company with 3 full time employees. I also hire every summer 4 or 5 high school seniors looking for summer work. I am looking to purchase a new tractor. It needs to be at least 40 horsepower and don稚 really want to go much bigger than 50, for easier transportation to and from jobs. It has to be 4x4 and has to be hydrostatic. I am thinking about also making this purchase a cab tractor to be able to work in all weather conditions. I brush hog about 30 2 to 5 acres lots 3 times a year. My problem is I normally send the summer help to do those jobs and keep my full time knowledgeable help work on other jobs. I always like to show the kids how to do it but its not safe riding on the step to show them how to operate it. I recently saw a small john deer utity tractor that had a cab and a little fold out seat for a second person to show how to operate something to. Are there any tractor manufactures that have a cab big enough in the 40 to 50 horsepower range for this seat. I was looking at a Kubota L 5240. but the dealer said that it cant be done.

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #2  
I'm just wingin' it here but my guess is OSHA would have you locked up for riding 2 up if someone got hurt. Don't think instuctor seats are available in the US, not that they are necessarily a bad idea. Good luck.

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #3  
I suggest that you get a couple of walkie talkies and you give your usual instructions while stopped, then let the newbie take off while you maintain verbal contact from a distance.... continuing to give directions....you are planning on being in the area to provide instruction anyway... and from one side you are safer.

I applaud the hydrostatic approach.... lift your foot and it comes to a standstill... faster with the brake... no lurches... good control.

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #4  
I have previously researched the issue and instructor seats are available in U.S. tractors, but one does not see them in the 50hp sizes.

The Kubota M108-125's, John Deere 6430 and up, and Deutz-Fahr Agrotron series have them, but you are looking at 90+ hp tractors to accommodate the space requirements.

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #5  
My 55 hp Zetor has a factory buddy seat

Attachments

• Zetor second seat.jpg
    Zetor second seat.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,811
   / buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #6  
That's neat. Do you have any photos of the tractor cab, what model is it, and what is your overall impression of Zetor?

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #7  
Bought it new in '04. Much cheaper acquisition than green, blue tractors. I thought the cab has better fit & finish than Massey Ferguson. NH TN's are lower profile for mowing, straddle the transmission hump. JD had the best ergonomics.

Very reliable, rugged and simple to maintain. The hydraulic clutch cylinder (dry clutch) failed this Spring & it took all of 45 mins to replace & bleed. $50 part. Zetor Tractor Parts delivers next day to the barnyard.

I do use it year round for everything with multiple attachments. New tractor with ancient tools!

Attachments

• double rocks right front.jpg
    double rocks right front.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,292
  • blower 4_edited.jpg
    blower 4_edited.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,360
  • zetor LF bare.jpg
    zetor LF bare.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 4,634
   / buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #8  
What price range do their 90ish hp models run (if you know) I think they are the Proxima Plus?

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #9  
Most compact tractors do not have enough room to safely have a buddy seat in the cab. You need enough room for two sets of legs to fit and not interfere with the operator.

/ buddy seat or instructional seats in a compact tractor cab #10  
RFB said:
What price range do their 90ish hp models run (if you know) I think they are the Proxima Plus?

Don't know current pricing but I bought the smallest one on my dealers lot.

Have sat in a Proxima and changes seemed evolutionary. Seat is fancier & swivels, etc. Engines are all turbo'd emission compliant. I specifically bought the older non turbo 4 cyl model for simplicity.