PTO Shaft Question

/ PTO Shaft Question #1  

RFB

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC
I know that one can separate the telescoping halves and shorten a pto shaft.

If the shaft is too short (the one in question has less than 1 inch of overlap), can it be lengthened instead of requiring the purchase of an entire new PTO shaft?

Thank you.

/ PTO Shaft Question #2  
Usually shaft tubing can be replaced, saving the yokes. But depending on the shaft configuration and the local labor rate, full replacement may be the less costly option.

/ PTO Shaft Question #4  
RFB, Remember that extending your pto will increase the driven shaft angles which can have adverse affects when raising/lowering ithe driven implementas well as requiring more shaft travel (overlap). Just get a longer piece(s) of matching shaft material at most any dealer & replace or extend (weld to) your existing shaft. A 1" overlap is definitely walking on thin ice, 3" not a lot better, I'd go for about 6" when fully lowered or raised. MikeD74T

/ PTO Shaft Question
The extender I have selected gives me a min 5" overlap.

The problem for me is "most any dealer"

The operable word is any...there are none within less than a 3 hour round trip, and that one is iffy on whether they would have it or be willing to order it.

With replacement inner and outer shaft tubes in-hand (on the possibility that I can find them) what is involved in making the change (not welding but replacing with original length)?

Thanks for the help.

/ PTO Shaft Question #6  
I have two shafts that are too short as well, tiller with slip disc and hog with shear pin. I think I am going to go the extender route as well. After looking at the tractor with the implements and mocking up an extender I did not see any binding issues at the working height. The way I look at it those are the lengths that I ran this stuff on my previous tractor. To modify my existing shafts I would need to essentially build a new shaft by adding on to or completely replacing the tube from the yoke down to make them longer. Shafts are no joke in cost, best I can find for the hog is about $170 and around $225 for the tiller.

/ PTO Shaft Question #7  
Depends on your yoke ends.. some hav ethe shafts pinned in.. some are welde din.

I'd either use the extender.. if it didn't cause angle or binding problems.. or investigave cost to retube, vs new.

NO WAY I'd ever try to weld extensions on.. that't be like ASKING for trouble.

soundguy

RFB said:
The extender I have selected gives me a min 5" overlap.

The problem for me is "most any dealer"

The operable word is any...there are none within less than a 3 hour round trip, and that one is iffy on whether they would have it or be willing to order it.

With replacement inner and outer shaft tubes in-hand (on the possibility that I can find them) what is involved in making the change (not welding but replacing with original length)?

Thanks for the help.

/ PTO Shaft Question #8  
I wouldn't be happy with much less than 5" of overlap on a PTO shaft that's working hard.

As far as how hard it is to swap shafting and reusing the knuckles, that depends on how the shaft is held in the knuckles. Some use simple spring pins that are a joke to drive out but most of mine are welded in. The shafting itself is also quite expensive. Like $20-$30/foot the last time I bought some (this summer). If you reshaft welded knuckles, weld the shafting on the exact end of the shaft (inside the knuckle). Welding on the outside will cause the power-bearing part of the shaft to become brittle and it WILL snap. Might not be sooner rather than later but better safe than sorry.

Don't weld extensions on- they'll snap at the welds.

/ PTO Shaft Question #9  
Got delayed quite a bit in the middle of finishing my reply and two others beat me to the post button.:eek: