Expand wheelbase?

/ Expand wheelbase? #1  

Michael Ides

Has anyone ever shimmed out their wheels to expand wheelbase? This would be to increase stability. I have an abundance of clearance, (big wheels). What about changing out wheels, keeping the wheel circumferences on ratio. This second option sounds expensive. Any other ideas?

/ Expand wheelbase? #2  
Most CUT's have wheels that are able to be spaced from narrow to wide. You have usually 2 disk positions and 2 rim positions for 4 total variations. Pretty easy to do, but if filled you need to be cautious as they are heavy.

Lots of people change tires but it is $$$

jb

PS - the "wheel base" is the distance from the front axle centerline to the rear axle centerline.

/ Expand wheelbase?
The rim positions are set to wide. I dont know what disk positions are.

I guess I should have said wheel width?

/ Expand wheelbase? #4  
not to hijack this thread but i'm also curious to see how to space the rear tires. Anyone have any pictures?

/ Expand wheelbase? #5  
Mike,

The disks are the concave (or convex depending upon the orientation) steel or iron plates that bolt to the inside diameter of the wheel itself.

As John mentioned 4 positions, the plates can be bolted inside or outside of the bolt-hole brackets, and disk itself can be turned convex or concave.

The widest setting has the disks concave (cup towards the outside), bolts bolted to the inside of the bracket, and the bracket side of the wheel closest to the tractor.

/ Expand wheelbase? #6  
What we are discussing here is "tread width," usually defined as the distance between the center of the tread of the left and right tires. The wheel centers are dished and are usually mounted with the dish to the inside, for minimum tread width. You can often dismount the rim/tire from the center, turn the center the other way on the axle, then remount the rim/tire, thus moving the tire outwards by twice the distance of the depth of the dish.

Or you can just move the entire center/rim/tire combination to the other side, ensuring you keep the tread pattern pointing in the correct direction. Front wheels often do not have the dismountable center, so this is the only way to do it.

I just checked the owners manual for my Kubota B7800, and it makes no mention of altering tread width. I have not had it very long and have not looked at the wheels to see what kind of adjustments I might have.

On my 1950 Ferguson TO20, the manual describes in detail how to adjust tread widths for both front and rear. On the rear, the rim can be mounted in four different positions on the center, and the center can be reversed, giving 16 different tread widths from 48 inches to 76 inches in 4 inch steps. On the front, the three-piece front axle allows you to remove two bolts per side and move the outer sections from 48 to 76 inches in 4 inch steps. You can also turn the front wheels around to get out to 80 inches. The manual notes that you should not turn the front wheels around except when absolutely necessary, as it throws additional strain on the front wheel bearings. That may also appy to modern tractors.

GS

RFB was a little quicker and not so wordy. Thanks, RFB!

/ Expand wheelbase?
Thanks everybody,
I went out and checked my set-up and the discs can be flipped to widen the stance. I should be able to pick up 6" more or less per wheel. Im sure it will be a great help. And to top it off. its free!

/ Expand wheelbase? #8  
To correct my minor error. There are up to 8 positions. The rims have loops that bolt to the center discs. The loops are off center line of the rim. So you can rotate the tire and move the loops in or out a 3-4 inches per side. You do have to then mount the rotated tire on the opposite side of the tractor as the tread pattern is directional.

Of the 8 positions, not all are possible. On the narrow side the tires may hit the fenders. Typically from narrowest to widest you will gain 12-18".

Here's a picture from the manual....

tread.jpg

/ Expand wheelbase? #9  
Dumb question, but does anyone know if any of the manufacturers sell new CUTS at anything but the widest setting? I thought that I would widen the stance on my B7800, but when I went to check the rear wheels they were already at the widest possible position without adding an aftermarket spacer or extension. The next time I was at my dealer, I asked about this and the salesguy said that since the CUTS are so much more narrow than AG tractors, that they always set them up as wide as possible. Is this standard thinking for all the brands?

/ Expand wheelbase? #10  
When I bought my 5030, I asked the dealer to make sure they were set at the widest. Prior to delivery, I reminded him again that I would like them at their widest.

Upon delivery, they were at their narrowest position.