SMALL TREES

/ SMALL TREES #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm planning to open up a new trail to access a food plot that will hopefully be cleared by end of summer. I have read several similar threads, but still have questions. The trees I need to remove are small birch and scrub oak up to 3 " diameter. We could just chainsaw them at ground level, but will have trouble discing for several years with stubs remaining. Besides the # of chains we'll dull cutting dirt. Alternatively, I could try pushing them over to expose roots for grappling. I wonder whether factory bucket without additional reinforcement will be bent in process?? Any help would be appreciated.

/ SMALL TREES #2  
I made a road about 400' long that needed many trees taken out that diameter and smaller using a JD 4310 430 loader and their heavy duty bucket. It worked like a charm accept for the one white oak. It was imposible to get out and was only about 2 1/2" at the base.

So, I think you will have a very hard time with the oaks but you should be able to push over the rest and curl them out with the bucket.

/ SMALL TREES #3  
The biggest problem I've had has been with the locust. Even ones as small as 3 inches are tough to deal with. As mentioned by Havotcec the oak could be a problem, the birch should be easier. I haven't found a toothbar to do much good because of the large amount of dirt that it digs out, if you can get a good grip with the grapple you might be in luck. I've never bent my bucket doing that type of work and I wouldn't consider it super heavy duty.

/ SMALL TREES #4  
Cut the trees about 4 ft from the base. Paint the stumps with roundup full strength just after you cut, this will kill the roots quickly and stop the roots from sprouting. After a season or two you will be able to push them over with the bucket on your tractor.

/ SMALL TREES
Thank you all for your comebacks. Would like to get this trail/road into pasture mix this summer followed by clover next year when lime effects kick in. Need to get it cleared this spring. May have to rent a dozer and use grapple for cleanup. Thanks

/ SMALL TREES
Does anyone use pallet forks to dig out trees??

/ SMALL TREES #7  
flINTLOCK said:
Does anyone use pallet forks to dig out trees??

Have never tried that.

My 4-n-1 bucket works pretty well. If the tree is short I can lower the open bucket over it, clamp down on it & lift it out.

If the tree is 10' to ~15' tall, I can approach the tree offset to one side, lift the brake lock and by using one brake swivel the open bucket to one side or the other, which will push the tree down until it pops up between the open bucket. Lower, clamp & lift.

/ SMALL TREES #8  
Why wouldn't you use your root grapple?

/ SMALL TREES #9  
I have done a lot of trails and removed more scrub trees than I care to remember. Some ways I have done it:

1. Cut off the larger trees close to the ground as you suggest - bush hog the rest (1-1.5"). This works great for trails, as you point out not ideal for a field you want to disk.

2. Use the loader to push over the trees and pluck them out. This is time consuming but it works. Is most effective when the ground is as wet as possible without causing mud problems. The downside is that this creates lots of holes and uneven ground. Also, be careful of backing up over partially removed trees - they can wreak havoc on your underbelly.

3. use a chain or something to pull the trees out. Also very effective on small trees but not real convenient - you will get on/off the tractor for every tree.

The best solution as toadhill suggests is time. I have spent many hours trying to get green stumps out of the ground. If I leave them for a year or two they pop right out with very little effort.

The Dozer sounds like a very attractive option to me if you want this done quick.

/ SMALL TREES #10  
dillo99 said:
The best solution as toadhill suggests is time. I have spent many hours trying to get green stumps out of the ground. If I leave them for a year or two they pop right out with very little effort.

The Dozer sounds like a very attractive option to me if you want this done quick.

You guys realize he's talking about trees that are 3 inches in diameter, right? A dozer?