Lubing the FEL

/ Lubing the FEL #1  

Hook

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010
I have a Kubota L3010 with about 37 hours on it. The other day I decided it was time to lube the FEL. So I pulled out the lube gun I had bought.

This is a standard automotive model with a flexible hose. I loaded the grease cartridge in it & then went to hook it up to the first grease fitting.

Hmmm ... there is a small metal "fitting" at the end of the hose. It has a ball check valve in it, so I assumed it was supposed to hook right up to the grease fitting on my FEL. But, the copler doesn't seem to want to screw onto the fitting. I can push the coupler down aboutr 1/2 its length, but it doesn't go any further.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Hook

/ Lubing the FEL #2  
Most grease guns I've used just push on to the zerk (grease) fitting. It should just cover the spherical part of the zerk. The spherical part of the zerk will push the check ball (of the grease gun) back which allows the grease to pump through.

I've never seen a standard grease gun that screwed onto a zerk fitting.

/ Lubing the FEL #3  
I'm with Roy on this one. Just push it down on the fitting, pump the handle a couple of times and pull it back off.

/ Lubing the FEL
> Poster: RoyJackson
> Subject: Re: Lubing the FEL

> Most grease guns I've used just push on to the
> zerk (grease) fitting. It should just cover the
> spherical part of the zerk. The spherical part of
> the zerk will push the check ball (of the grease gun)
> back which allows the grease to pump through.

Hmmm ... I don't think this is a "zerk" fitting, though I'm not sure. Coming out of each (of 6) lubrication points is a threaded shaft (like the working end of a machine screw). I don't see any other fittings that could lead to the lubrication points.

--
Hook

/ Lubing the FEL #5  
Ask your dealer about this...
Zerks are pretty fragile. I'm wondering if they may have been replaced with another (temporary) fitting for transport.

/ Lubing the FEL #6  
I think you're right, Roy. I was checking out the new Kubotas still in their crates and noticed short bolts where my zircs are located. Betcha the dealer installs them.

Pete

/ Lubing the FEL #7  
rule #1 with a grease fitting: wipe it clean before lubing.

[dirt is a terrible thing to add to a bearing surface]