swappping out rears for wider set

/ swappping out rears for wider set #1  

Kendrick

Gold Member
Tractor
DK45S(Cab)
My rears are at an intermediate setting and could go 2-4" wider. I am considering my options on trying to get them to their widest position. It seems to me I could just swap the left and right tires to be able to bolt them at the widest position. That way I would not need to turn the tread around etc.

The easiest way I can see doing this my self is by using either the bh or nabbig a set of jacks some where. once the tractor is properly raised put it on stands/blocks that would hold the back end. probably keeping the bh leggs out so it can be an emergency stabiliser. putting together either a steal or wood dolly mechanisim that would have 2 pairs of uprights 1/4 the way in from the end of the tire that would go down to a platform with wheels on it. it would have boltable blocks that would keep the tire captive but free to roll wile the dolly is there. the dolly would be able to keep the tire almost verticle and from tipping. the only problem with this arraingement that I can see is I dont know how much force it will take to roll that tire since it is filled(900? lbs). I have seen several ppl mention just borrowing/getting a 2nd tractor and swapping that way. for me that is not an option right now and having it done by the shop will be somthing like 300$ before it reaches the shop door.

Does this sound feasable or are there things i am missing since I have not dealt with tractors before.

/ swappping out rears for wider set #2  
You are on the right track.

I used sections of 6x6 lumber, raised the rear (both sides at once) with the BH outriggers, slide the stacks of 6X6 under on pre-positioned 2x6's (so I would not be under the tractor at any location) and then lowered the tractor onto the 6x6's. I kept the outrigggers down by just enough to add stabilization, not support.

Remove the wheels from the discs (the large steel centers), (the disc portion should be "cupped" to the outside) and then roll the tire/wheel backwards toward the rear of the tractor, (without turning the tire/wheel around in a different orientation) and then forward to the opposite side and remount. Simply reverse, and then forward, do not spin the tire.

When you are finished, it should buy you quite a difference. Some pics below of the end-result:

Attachments

• Tire 8.JPG
    Tire 8.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Tire 7.JPG
    Tire 7.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Tire 4.JPG
    Tire 4.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Tire 5.JPG
    Tire 5.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 188
   / swappping out rears for wider set
how did you manage the rolling of the wheels? bunch of friends? if so was it possible for 1 person to get the wheel moving? I am very much on my own on this endever due to my wifes disability and all so I am trying to be sure this can be done on my own. I might be able to wrangle a friend to assist but you never know.

/ swappping out rears for wider set #4  
Sir,

The key to rolling the wheels is to keep them upright. Go very slowly, do not allow tipping from vertical, and then you are not supporting any weight, just rolling the circumference. There is little to any effort in the rolling.

The hardest part is the re-mounting process, aligning the bolt holes and slipping the bolts in while maintaining that alignment.

If your tires are loaded, I would not try it alone, since now you are dealing with 300 to 500 lbs plus the weight of tire and wheel. If it falls over, it can injure you, and it would be a bear to return it upright.

If your tires are not loaded, it is a muscle job but not impossible. If Mr. Badwrench can do it (me), then most can. I did use a couple of 2x4's and a 6 foot pry bar to stand on to raise and lower and jiggle to get the alignment. A helper at that point would be a huge help.

/ swappping out rears for wider set #5  
You just jack the tractor up so the tires are just ever so little off the ground. I mean so a piece of paper can't hardly get thru close. I've done it several times with loaded tires and it's not that bad. That's working alone to boot. Can do it alone, but a helper is nice.

It's easier to put the whole tire/wheel /center on the hub, than to put the rim onto the center while the center is still on the hub. So, if you are repositioning the center <-> rim do it off the tractor, then put the whole deal back on the tractor as one piece. You can wiggle / rock the tire to rotate it. If you do it on cement, toss some dry dusty dirt down and it will allow it to slide some.

The one thing to remember is that if it is going over - you can't stop it. Past a certain point, your only option is just getting the heck out of the way. An engine hoist can easily get a tire back up - you have to counter weight the back of it.

jb

/ swappping out rears for wider set #6  
Everything previously that was said is fine, I switched mine without fluid no problem, one thing missing though is what to do with the first wheel you take off, you would need to have it lean it up to something while you get the other wheel off or have a helper, I used the side of my garage post for this otherwise you have to someone help you. Just keep wheel upright at all times.

/ swappping out rears for wider set
That will be difficult jb. the center plate is the correct way round and the tires are not. is it possible at all to turn the bolt patern at the axel? I have Aggs and doubt i would be able to slide it. no concreete area big enough to do this in. might fit the barn but will be tough due to the mechanics pit. when I build my wheel dolly ill make sure to give you all pics ;) got some better ideas now

I appriciate the thougts. I wouldent have thought about needing to slip the tire to align the bolt pattern. may have to come up with somthing to aide in that.

/ swappping out rears for wider set #8  
Kendrick, if it is at all possible, Do not do this by yourself. I waited for more than a year to mess with my tires.:( It just is not worth getting hurt and if you feel that you need the extra width that bad out in the field, pay to get this done. Whatever you do, be very careful, 900lbs per tire is to much to man handle by yourself.:eek:

/ swappping out rears for wider set #9  
Kendrick -

You CAN just take the rim off (4 or 6 bolts usually) and swap them around. I just find that to be a bit more difficult.

I have already come up with the tire slipping solution - purely mental at this point, but it should aught to work. (I think)

Get some ply wood. About 1/2" thick, 12-18" wide and 30-36"" long. Put one piece under each rear tire. Get some 12" long x 1/4 steel rod, about 8-10 pieces - 4-5 per side and put them on the ply wood. Then put a second piece of ply on top about 12" x 24-30" long. You will be able to roll the tire up onto the stepped plywood and should be able to rotate the tire with the steel rod acting like roller bearings.

May not be the perfect solution, but a step in the right direction. (I just used the bend and heave method and it works easier than you may imagine. Then again my mom used tell me, "Son, you might be slow and dumb, but you ain't good lookin!")

jb