chain saw caddie

/ chain saw caddie #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
If you're like me, you carry your chainsaw in the bucket of the tractor or in the wagon its pulling. The wagon isn't a bad place if you're hauling a wagon but I always find the bucket as an atrocious place to put the saw for a variety of reasons mostly dealing with needing to use the bucket in the woods. I've looked at several places on my JD 750 to safely (for the saw) carry it. I've toyed with making a scabbard and puttting it on the loader arm or supports but these areas get visited with all sorts of branches while traveling through thick woods. I've thought about putting it in back which is fine until I back up. The tractor is too small for a box to be placed somewhere. Anyone attach theirs to the ROPs somehow?

/ chain saw caddie #2  
there's anotyher thread around here somewhere from one of the guys who made a scabbard out of HDPE cutting boards and mounted it to his loader arm, but it would also be easy to attack to your ROPS.
you could also make a carryall basket and attach it behind the seat (use your toolbox mounting bracket, maybe?)

/ chain saw caddie #3  
I usually have mine resting on the rear fender and then bungie corded to the rops. It is nothing fancy, but it works for me.

/ chain saw caddie #4  
I put a piece of 4" Pvc pipe in my ballast box for multi use and the small saw fits, have not tried bigger saws.
Pic shows saw in 3" pipe, this is my kick around saw, don't know if this set up would be ok for a premium saw.

Attachments

• PA110009.JPG
    PA110009.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 2,427
  • PA110011.JPG
    PA110011.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 2,752
   / chain saw caddie #5  
Nice set up for holding the tools JB. Nice choice of Saw brand. I like my Huskies and also own a few of that other brand that starts with an "S" and ends with L. I have to come up with something to haul multiple saws that I use into the woods that won't interfere with the boom pole on the back to skid out logs. Carrying the gear in the FEL doesn't sound too appealing as far as bouncing them around or even of the bucket and running over things. Like gas and oil cans or chain.
There was a great thread a while back where the guy used a plastic cutting board from the kitchen to protect the chain.. His wife stihl :D may be looking for it...
Jim

/ chain saw caddie #6  
I've thought of trying to mount the factory carry case to the tractor somehow, but so far haven't gotten around to it. The small saw (Husky 350) is easy to just throw in the cab, but the big one (Husky 3120XP w/ 36" bar) is really tough to haul around. It was also kind of expensive, so a good solid mount would be a nice thing to figure out. I currently bungie it to the backhoe platform, but I have to keep looking back to make sure that it didn't work its way loose.

/ chain saw caddie
Certainly one way to do it. Getting a 2x4 or six depending on bar width and plunge cutting it with the saw is another. Fasten to the loader with self tapping screws along one side should hold it. I think I'm going to make a shelf on the back of rops. Get a couple of L shaped shelving mounts, selftap screw them into the ROPS, screw a shelf across, support the saw with cleats or better yet, for those with saw cases, screw the case right to the bottom of the shelf hanger and just plop the saw in. Don't know about the aestetics of that one however. Somebody should make a ROPS attached storage container that you could just wingnut on and off. They have about 6 milion different things for quads so this idea shouldn't be hard to formulate if its not out there already. Jb your set-up is real sweet. Wouldn't take much to weld up a couple grab hooks and skid logs from the box. Thanks for the hook-up Amigauser

/ chain saw caddie #9  
I made a caddy out of plywood that fastens to the FEL brackets. Actually I put one on each side. Just drop the bar into the caddy before I climb back on. This puts the saw up front where I can watch it while in the bush. If I am planning to do saw work I can throw both saws aboard and hang a small gas and oil can somewhere other than in the bucket where I will forget and dump it the first time I go to move a log....I keep a bar wrench and files in the fender tool box all summer and at least one saw comes with me, along with a 15' chain.....

/ chain saw caddie
any pictures Pat?