Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips?

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #1  

jfobel

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a yanmar YM2000 and will receive the tractor w/ loader and shredder sometime this week. I purchased the tractor to mow, put down a gravel drive, and clean-up trees/brush. I have never owned a tractor before and would like to start off right. I am thinking of changing out:

1. Enginer Oil/Filter
2. Air Filter
3. Fuel Filter
4. Belt
5. Antifreeze
6. Grease zirk fittings

What other tips can you provide? I am new to tractors and want to start off good.

Thanks,

Jack

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #2  
I did the same thing that your doing. In addition I changed the hydraulic fluid / filters, and gear oil. I also took digital pics of the tractor, components along with pics of all the serial numbers for my file. Just in case of a theft, fire etc. Make sure you get the manuals and then stick to the maintenance checks and changes according to the manufacturers guidlines. Good luck and enjoy!

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #3  
jfobel said:
What other tips can you provide? I am new to tractors and want to start off good.

The best tip I can provide is to read as much of this site as possible. You cannot begin to fathom the amount of useful advise and information available on just about any topic.

Congrats on the tractor and welcome to TBN.

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #4  
Factory owner's manual, & factory service manual are, or should be IMHO, the first things you get.

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #5  
BE CAREFUL!!! Don't put yourself in awkward situations ,things happen pretty fast in the seat sometimes. Enjoy and expect lots of advice from the good folks on this site.

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #6  
I agree with all that has been said. Read the manual and get familiar with the machine. Don't think for a minute that a smaller CUT or SCUT won't kill or maim you just as fast as a full-sized UT. All tractors have more power than you might expect if you're not used to them. Go slow when you're learning, and don't ever put yourself in a situation where you're rushed for time and in a hurry. It's better to not finish and live to tractor another day with all your parts intact. In short, always keep safety in the front of your mind and you'll have a great time learning what you can do...

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #7  
bjcsc, good point. A friend of my wife lost her life last year. Her clothing got caught in the PTO when she went to spread manure. She apparently has done this countless times and was familiar with the equipment. Don't take anything for granted and always pay attention. Respect.

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #8  
jfobel said:
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a yanmar YM2000 and will receive the tractor w/ loader and shredder sometime this week. I purchased the tractor to mow, put down a gravel drive, and clean-up trees/brush. I have never owned a tractor before and would like to start off right. I am thinking of changing out:

1. Enginer Oil/Filter
2. Air Filter
3. Fuel Filter
4. Belt
5. Antifreeze
6. Grease zirk fittings

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, if you've never used a tractor before, then you probably don't realize how quickly and how easily a tractor can be turned over, especially one with a front end loader. I'm sure many of our members, including yours truly, have just scared the bejabbers out of themselves at least once when one or two wheels came off the ground. Go very slowly at first, keep the bucket on the front end loader as low as possible when moving, and have fun.

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #9  
You didn't tell us what part of the country you are in. Will you have snow and ice to contend with? Cold weather when you fire it up?
I always try to keep one hand on the loader joystick when carrying a load and like was mentioned, keep the bucket low when ever you can, full or empty. And NO passengers!

/ Used tractor, 1st time tractor owner, tips? #10  
PitbullMidwest said:
The best tip I can provide is to read as much of this site as possible. You cannot begin to fathom the amount of useful advise and information available on just about any topic.

Congrats on the tractor and welcome to TBN.

If your not reading this board at least 2 to 3 times a week your cheating yourself. The above quote is the best info I can give.