Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
What is the best way to connect a chain to the tractor to pull out downed trees and brush?

I was thinking of buying a draw bar and a tow chain or heavy duty tow strap and just looping the strap around the draw bar and then the other end around the think I want to pull...am I on the right track?

Thanks.

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #2  
Sniggle said:
What is the best way to connect a chain to the tractor to pull out downed trees and brush?

I was thinking of buying a draw bar and a tow chain or heavy duty tow strap and just looping the strap around the draw bar and then the other end around the think I want to pull...am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Don't you have a drawbar under the rear PTO?

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #3  
This may not be the best way but its worked for me a good long time and hundreds of cords later. On the ear of metal bolted to the drawbar is a chain grab hook.

Attachments

• PICT0058.JPG
    PICT0058.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,534
   / Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #5  
I don't have a drawbar, and it would not be compatible with the back hoe, even if I did have one.

So, I attach a chain to one of the grab hooks welded on my FEL and pull in reverse. Watching the tree come over is very satisfying.

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #6  
You will keep reading that you must pull from below the axle or else your tractor will raise the front whells off the ground and do a back flip if the load is too heavy. This is probably true if you have a manual tranny and a lot of traction because you would have to find that clutch in a hurry to prevent it if a log hangs up.
I have hydrostat and tend to have the problem of not enough traction so I like to lift the front end of a heavy log slightly off the ground with the 3pth and be ready to lift my foot off the go-pedal should a problem occurr.(very seldom)
For gathering my winters wood supply I have an 8000lb electric winch that plugs into a receiver on the 3pth. The receiver/drawbar also has a half dozen grab hooks (slots cut out actually) for short chains so I'm not putting a shock load on the winch gears. I drag the single logs out to the trail with the winch, hook onto what-ever I can handle, then raise the 3pth for the trip back to the woodshed.
A nylon tow strap is fine for dragging logs to the trail as long as you hook it to a short chain which goes around the log. You will wear thru the strap(or rope) in short order if its around the log.
I have about 6 short (4-5') chains with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other. This way I can add logs to the load as I pass them on the trail.

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #7  
In the picture above, that is not the safest way to do it. The chain should be hooked to the fixed drawbar. In the pic there is a trailer ball mounted there. You can get by doing it the way in the pic. Possibly for years and years, till you raise the 3pt 1inch too high and hook to a tree with roots 1 pound too heavy then you go wheels up.

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #8  
I wasnt calling anyone out, but the OP is new, and we want to teach the safe way not the this hasnt killed me yet way. Go to the safety forum and watch the video of tractor flipping over, its faster than you think.

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #9  
I'd connect to the drawbar. Also, I'd put a sheet of plywood or heavy steel mesh across the entire open area inside the ROPS. Put a slit at eye level in plywood. You have to ALWAYS bear in mind where the ends of that chain are going if (more usually like WHEN) it breaks. Did a job on the hood of our car once when my Dad was towing it with the tractor. Luckily, it was just short of the windshield.

Don't any fools reply to this that they've never had a chain break and that this is a bunch of bull.

Ralph

/ Where to connect a chain to pull trees/brush #10  
Definitely use your mid-drawbar under the PTO. I have a clevis with a 3/8 chain hook welded to it for this kind of thing. This size hook works on 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 chain sizes.